Chapter - 39

Avni sat at the table with Uday as she looked at the menu. It seemed like a nice place set inside a five star hotel with a view to the hotel pool and the valleys beyond. Uday had told her they served some of the best Chinese dishes around. While he was busy with his menu card she wasn't sure what to order. She hadn't tried much of Chinese and after another five minutes gave up.

"Ready to order?" Uday asked smilingly.

"No," Avni said consciously, "I haven't tried much of Chinese so," she said and shrugged.

"Okay, nothing to be ashamed of sweetie," he said casually, "let me order for you. You like spice or mild," he asked.

"Mild would work," Avni replied without blinking.

"Man are you boring," Uday complained, "spice makes food fun. It is one of the things me and bhai share. Manya likes to take the heat but in two bites she is done and wants medium flavors," he said and rolled his eyes, "you sure you don't want to try their spicier dishes. I can guarantee they are yum," he said trying to coax her to say yes.

"A little spice and my eyes water," she told him with a smile of her own, "so unless you don't want people to think you made me cry on purpose you should order mild flavors," she said.

Uday laughed. He couldn't control it.

"A joke," Uday said as he continued to laugh, "and your first with me," he said in between his laughs, "great going Avni dear," he said and gave he a thumbs up, "it seems I am rubbing off some of my famous personality traits on you," he said and with one nod beckoned the waiter who was waiting to take their orders, "mild it is for you. I wouldn't want people to think anything else," he said good naturedly and winked.

Avni blushed and that seemed to amuse Uday even more. But he didn't tease her. Instead, he ordered their food something spicy for him and something mild for her and noodles. While he did that Avni remembered how casually he had told her that he and Karan both shared a liking for spice. Another opposite she thought. Now even in food they have a similar choice. Should that upset her? She wasn't sure. But slowly she was realizing that the differences were greater than commonalities. And that did put a dampener on things. She was suddenly quiet again. He even preferred coffee to tea. This wasn't helping. She had read somewhere in a novel her friend had given her when she was in college that opposites attract. Was that what was happening in her case here. She was positive Karan didn't feel any such thing. So why did she? Why did she feel as if there was more to her coming here than just finishing her course? As if destiny was guiding her towards something more profound or was it more frightening? She wasn't sure which it was going to be but she was sure it was approaching her fast. Should she feel uneasy? Or should she numb herself again? But she didn't want to. She didn't want to go back to her cocoon again. Cover herself up with darkness. She was getting used to this light. She was recovering from the blow. She was healing. She wanted to feel whole again. She should probably just wait it out. As she was lost in her own thoughts and Uday ordered neither of them realized that Uday's laughter had brought them to someone's notice.

Riddhima hadn't known Uday was at the restaurant sitting a few tables away from her till she had heard him laugh. She could recognize that lazy laugh anywhere. Surprised she had looked up. Of course it was him. And then she noticed who he was with. Avni. And that surprised her even more. He was at this restaurant having lunch with Avni. Odd? Or was it? What had they shared that had made him laugh so much? Avni was a quiet girl she couldn't have made him laugh like that? Or had she? Riddhima had come here with her cousin for lunch. They were almost halfway through theirs. And this place was a particular favorite of hers. Why had Uday brought Avni for lunch? Was it casual or something special? She frowned at that. Were they on a date? Uday sure moved fast. But what if it was Avni? What if she was not what she seemed? What if this quiet simplicity was just an act? She frowned harder on that. What was it to her? He was a world class flirt, and he could do what he wanted. Why should she care? He was only proving she was right about him. With that she turned around and faced her cousin who made a comment on how handsome Uday was and sighed. If Avni's presence had irritated, her then her cousin's sigh irritated her more and with a curt reply she attacked her food. Trying to eat fast and get out of the place even faster. But despite her anger and mood she consciously kept glancing at the table where they sat from the corner of her eye. They chatted and smiled and laughed. She will just need to find an answer soon she decided or keep feeling this unwanted anger towards Uday which was shifting towards Avni at an alarming speed.

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!