Chapter - 49

Sunday had been the happiest day as far as Avni was concerned. It had been such fun to hang out with everyone, have lunch, joke around. Karan had been attentive but being his usual self he had smiled or laughed only when required. She herself had become quieter after all the questions she had raised for herself. But the mood had still been light. They had returned after lunch and things had gone back to being normal again. She had worked on the project for Monday all through the night. Her mind going over the day's events and her turmoil again and again.

Monday had been a busy day. She had found Karan had left for Delhi again during Monday afternoon and she had felt disappointed. But she hadn't been given much time to ponder over it as Manya took her along for coffee with Riddhima. It had been Riddhima's idea she had found out later. And she could describe the outing in one word. Uncomfortable. Riddhima had asked her several questions most of them personal. And Avni hadn't been comfortable with most of them. Finally, Manya had intervened and asked Riddhima to stop the interrogation. Riddhima had just shrugged and changed the topic. Avni could tell Manya had been peeved too.

Tuesday, Avni met Riddhima again at the house when she returned from school. She had come over with Manya to study for an upcoming test. They had all sat together for the evening tea with Nilakshi. And then Riddhima had stayed over for dinner. With Tej uncle and Uday around thankfully Riddhima hadn't subjected her to more questions but Avni had been very conscious about the other girl. She had felt as if she was a prey being watched by a hawk and Avni hadn't liked the feeling at all.

So she had taken Kiser and Don the next day for an early morning walk. It had been such a refresher and she had been in a better mood. Avni couldn't figure out Riddhima anymore. As it is she didn't know the girl properly and with her cold attitude Avni was finding it impossible to cope with her. She was home again in the afternoon. This time on the pretext of copying notes. Avni had started having a headache. She was nowhere close to finding out Riddhima's feelings for Uday instead she felt cornered. It was puzzling. What was it with the girl? Why couldn't she leave her alone? Strange Avni wasn't an instinctual person but for some reason her instincts were warning her about Riddhima. She had a distinct feeling she was being targeted. But why? She could think of only one reason that Riddhima was doing things out of jealousy. She had voiced her concern to Uday but he had waved her off telling her it was too soon and that they hadn't done anything to portray that kind of picture to her yet. Then he had told her that if unwittingly she was feeling that way then it was good and that Avni should remain quiet and let things unfold on their own. But she hadn't been satisfied. Because of all the unwanted stress she wasn't able to sleep properly. The pressure was too much.

By Thursday evening she had felt the need to take her tablets again. At least she had been able to have a full night sleep. And thankfully Riddhima had decided to not show up. It had given Avni the much needed breather.

Friday morning she had decided to take the dogs for their morning walk again when she had found them outside playing in their yard with their master sitting on the patio chair with a cup of coffee. She had felt great at seeing him again. She had wished he didn't have to go for days like this. He had greeted her politely and had enquired about the shadows under her eyes but she had waved off his question. She had been so happy just to see him all her stress had vanished in that one instant. Then he had shared the news of getting a major contract for his company and she had congratulated him. He had then told her he planned to take everyone out for dinner tonight and she had been glad for the respite. She hoped Riddhima didn't pop in today. She just wanted to have another day without seeing her. At breakfast she had found out that Nilakshi aunty and Tej uncle weren't going to be home that night as they had to go to Chandigarh to attend a business party. And Manya was to go for a sleepover at another friend's place but she would go out for that dinner with them. Avni had been okay with the plan. In the evening as she got ready to go out she wanted to look beautiful today. She wasn't sure why but she wanted to dress up a little. So she had decided to wear a bottle green embroidered kurta with maroon churidaar. Since the kurta was a little loose she decided to forgo the dupatta. She even put on a slight makeup and wore silver earrings with little bells. She kept her hair open. She hoped Karan liked how she looked. Would he compliment her? Would he notice? Even though doubts assailed her she cast them aside. As she looked at her reflection in the mirror she remembered how long it had been since she had actually wanted to dress up. Since she had wanted to look nice. She smiled. It felt good.

Little did she know that the most wanted wishes often had a way of slipping away right before they become a reality. Who knew what the evening had in store for her?

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!