Chapter - 44

Avni peered into the deep ravine and gulped. No way was she doing this. Despite the fact that Uday had coaxed her into wearing the harness and the other stuff that was to keep her safe she was fast becoming sure this was going to be a disaster. She was already a mess. Too nervous. Too scared. And this wasn't her fault or even had anything to do with her past. This was pure terror for the simple reason that she was to consciously jump into the deep ravine head down before she would be pulled up as she hung in the air between safety and death. Who had made this madness a sport anyway? And then called it bungee jumping. It was for those who either had a death wish or those who sought thrill by doing such nonsensical thing. And she was in neither category. She felt dizzy just by looking at the drop. She will have a cardiac arrest somewhere in the middle. She gingerly touched her forehead as she fought the dizziness. Lest she knew she fell down in a faint even before anybody realized what happened. Then for sure she was going to die. At least she wouldn't feel the pain since she would already be unconscious she thought grimly.

"You aren't going to faint are you?" a voice asked from behind her.

Avni jerked around at the suddenness of it and she almost fell because of the spin she had just made. It was Karan. Was she glad he was here? Maybe he could knock some sense into Uday and Manya. Even Riddhima had asked them to let her be but they seemed to be not in a listening mood finally Riddhima had just shrugged and gone ahead to put on her harness. He looked so good. Just seeing him immediately brightened her spirits. He looked amazing in that red t shirt and black track pants. His slightly long hair was tied today. Avni couldn't look away at the sight he made. He looked his handsomest best. Dangerous and yet reassuring. It was such a contrast in his personality but this is what pulled her towards him. She had stopped fearing the danger and she couldn't ignore the warmth he exuded. Then as she watched him raise an eyebrow she realized he had asked her a question and she had yet to answer.

"I just might have a heart attack," she replied truthfully.

Karan heard her fear loud and clear. It was no wonder considering her disposition in life. Uday was out of his mind to get her to do this. But that was exactly what he had thought his first time round and he had loved it so much he had done it so many times the heights had stopped bothering him anymore.

"Scared of heights are we?" he asked casually.

"No," she replied, "but...this bungee jumping thing is not my cup of tea," she said haltingly.

"Then why did you agree for it?" he asked her as he slowly moved behind her. He had seen the look she had before he had started talking. Her face was a little pale and her eyes had looked dilated for a few seconds before she had responded. If she actually had experienced a fainting spell she just might have another one. And since she was standing so close to the jump off she just might take a step back to steady herself and fall. He didn't want that to happen. So distraction was the method as of now.

"It was a surprise till I was wearing this," she told him and looked down at the harness placed around her.

Karan gently placed his hands on her shoulders and pushed her forward till she was standing a few feet away from the edge of the cliff.

"Uday had said it would be fun," Avni murmured, "how jumping off a cliff is fun I don't understand," she said.

"Have you ever heard of something called adrenaline rush?" he asked as he moved to her side and adjusted her harness making sure it was done correctly. Uday had bought the new full body harnesses which were excellent for a variety of positions when one jumped without causing damage to bones. Especially for newbies. As she shook her head negatively he explained, "It is a blood rush. The accelerated beating of your heart. The thrill. The excitement at doing something insane and yet surviving it. That is the fun of it," he said, "call us mad but Uday and Manya love the sport," he said and shrugged.