Chapter - 86

Nilakshi sifted through the mail and saw an envelope addressed to Avni. She went over it and realized it was from a school. Avni must have applied for a teaching post there. She smiled and then kept it aside. Nilakshi's mind went over the last few days. Karan and Tej were getting to know each other though they were still wary of the other. Tej constantly cribbed and grumbled about things while Karan mostly refused to comment on how his father behaved. Shalini had gone back to Ludhiana after apologizing to everyone to find a purpose for her life. And Nilakshi was finding Avni to be a treat. Avni was gaining confidence, it wasn't easy considering what she had gone through in the past and what had happened here. Things were still settling down. She was just as quiet as before and Uday had named her the mouse of the family for which he had received a solid kick from Karan. But she smiled openly now. The fear of others was reducing day by day. What was most surprising was how Tej had taken to her. He had of course gotten her to sketch him first and was pretty happy with the results. But the way he felt protective of her. Nilakshi should have expected it. He was similar to Karan but Avni had made her own place within the Dogra clan and without any help from anyone. Nilakshi herself had become friends with the girl. Avni was just like Manya to her. 

"Is that for me?" she heard Avni ask which brought her out of her thoughts. "Yes," she answered with a smile, "this came in the afternoon mail," she said and handed the envelope to Avni. Avni opened it with a smile and then read the contents. "What does it say?" Nilakshi asked as she put her chin on her hand watching her eyes shine with excitement. "They accepted," Avni said enthusiastically, "they accepted my application for the post I had applied," she said happily. "Well, congratulations," Nilakshi said smiling as she opened her arms to hug her. "Thanks aunty," Avni replied as she leaned into the embrace. "So when do you join?" Nilakshi asked as Avni straightened. But that seemed to dampen her spirit. Nilakshi frowned. She had been happy a second ago what was wrong? "What happened?" she asked concerned. "They want me to join in three days," Avni replied gloomily as she sat on the dining table next to Nilakshi, "since it is an assistant post and they are in immediate need of one they are not giving me any time," she said. "But that is alright," Nilakshi said reassuringly as she placed a hand on Avni's, "you can join right away after all your course finished this Friday, didn't it," she said, "so technically you are free," Nilakshi said wondering what was wrong in that. "You don't understand aunty," Avni said almost upset, "I cannot join this school. I know I had applied there but..." she said bit her lip. "I am at a loss here bachche," Nilakshi said confused. Why couldn't Avni join this school? She had applied there so she must have wanted her application to be approved and she had been excited just a minute ago, "what is so upsetting?" she asked. "Aunty, when I had applied for this post I had done it on a whim," Avni said as she lowered her head and furrowed her brows, "I hadn't really thought they would accept. Yes, I am excited because this is on my merit, they approved my application on my achievements and not on anything else," she said then looked at Nilakshi, "but the school is not in Manali," Avni said finally. "Not in Manali," Nilakshi echoed as her mind came to understand what she was saying, "so where is this school exactly?" she asked. 

"In Nainital," Avni replied upset. "Nainital?" Nilakshi exclaimed. "I hadn't known you had applied there," she said then extended her hand towards her, "show me," she said and Avni handed over the letter of confirmation to Nilakshi. How had she missed the school name and address on the envelope? She read the letter. So if Avni agreed she will have to leave for Nainital almost immediately because she had to join in three days. But it was too soon. "Where will you stay?" she asked trying to calm herself down. "School will provide accommodation," Avni replied absently, "I had enquired about all the details," she said, "it is a temporary assistant position, accommodation will be provided by the school. It is a good school aunty, if tomorrow I work as a teacher this experience would be beneficial," she said lost in her thoughts. "But Nainital Avni," Nilakshi wondered loudly, "what about Karan?" she said spontaneously, "does he know about this?" she asked. "No," Avni replied slowly, "I had applied last month long before he had proposed to me. At that point of time I was sure I would leave here," she told Nilakshi dejectedly, "and I hadn't thought much about it besides I hadn't really expected such a good school to confirm a position for me," she said anxiously. How come she had forgotten all about it?