Chapter - 87

It was the toughest decision Avni had ever taken. Well, it was the first decision she had taken on her own anyway. How did people do it? How did they know what was the right thing to do? Tej uncle had returned last night from Chandigarh and they had spoken at length weighing the pros and cons of it then he had told her the same thing Nilakshi had. She had asked Uday and Manya too and where Uday had been supportive Manya hadn't be so sure. The problem was going to be Karan. He had returned a short while ago and she had seen his car in the driveway. And he had called her to tell her he would come and see her soon. Dinner today had been a somber affair. Karan was to join them too and then she was going to tell him. But he was late. She bit her lip hard. She was still not sure and she needed to talk to him. But this was important to her. She paced her room restlessly as tension mounted. She heard a knock on her door and saw a smiling Karan poke his head inside.

For a moment there Avni forgot everything. Her heart soared at seeing him. All tension gone for the time being. It felt so good to see him again after three long days. As he entered she all but rushed to give him a big bear hug and he hugged her back laughing.

"Wow," he said as she heard the rumbling sound, "I hadn't known I would get a reception like this," he teased her.

Avni smiled. Just content to feel him next to her. And then reality intruded. The tension seeped back and she stiffened without realizing what she was doing. And Karan felt it.

He eased her hold just a little and tilted her head all the way back to look at her face. Her eyes were anxious and her face held a serious look. There was a slight frown in between her delicately arched brows. What were shadows doing under her eyes again? Did something happen while he was gone? But then had something bad happened his parents would have called him. So what was wrong? She had given him an excited hug and then stiffened. He searched her face but couldn't come up with a reason. But he kept his smile. Maybe it was nothing. And even if it was he had to stay calm anyway.

"Didn't sleep well?" he asked keeping his tone light.

Avni looked away then removed her arms from around him. She went and sat on the bed with her head bent low. What was Karan to make of it he wasn't sure but she sure as hell was scaring him now.

"Avni?" he said seriously.

Avni took in a deep breath. She couldn't tell him. She would rather stay here than tell him what she wanted to do. But then Nilakshi's words echoed in her head. What if tomorrow she regretted it? And it wouldn't be Karan's fault because he wouldn't know about it only. She rose and picked the letter from the table and gave it to him.

Wondering what was so upsetting he read the piece of paper. Then smiled.

"Avni, this is great," he said tension leaving him, "you should be happy you got a job this soon after your course finished. Why are you upset about it?" he asked.

"Because it is not here," she told him quietly.

Karan looked at the address on the letterhead it said Nainital. He frowned. If she took this up she will have to leave here. He read the name of the school. He had heard of it. It was a very good school. She would do well in her future if she had its name on her credentials. He read the letter again. She will have to join in two days. That left them with very little time one to decide and two to get her ready. But all of that could be done. The question was what did she want to do? He looked at Avni. Her eyes looked misty so madam had lost sleep over this. She was such an idiot. What was he going to with her? He shook his head.

"This had you so tense," he said as he waved the piece of paper in the air.

"You are not upset?" Avni asked surprised.