Chapter - 84

Tej stood apprehensively as he watched Nilakshi ring the bell to Karan's house. She glanced at him and smiled reassuringly. This was the first time Tej had stepped on Karan's property though Karan moved around his, even came home sometimes he had never visited Karan's house. Never seen the interior of it. Not even when he was getting it constructed. His pride and hurt ego had blinded him to everything. And today he was here hoping to mend the strained relationship he shared with his son. He had thought about it all night. What he was going to say or how to keep his composure but now that he was here he wasn't sure of what he was to do or say. He hoped Nilakshi would be able to handle things better and he would just agree with everything. They had decided to give their consent for Avni and Karan's relationship. But Nilakshi had put up some conditions and he had agreed to their logic. So here they were to talk about what they thought and apologize to both Karan and Avni. Though apologizing was something Tej had never done. He swallowed nervously. Anybody who knew Tej would have rolled on the floor in laughter if they even heard he was nervous. Tej shook his head and tried to get his composure back. The door opened and he braced himself for Karan's reaction.

Karan wasn't sure who to expect at his doorstep this early in the morning but he sure as hell hadn't expected his parents to be here. He was surprised to put it mildly before he looked at their expressions. While his mother smiled a bit his father looked as uncomfortable as a polar bear in a desert. What was he doing here? What were they doing here he corrected himself. If they were here to bad mouth Avni he didn't have the patience for it.

"Aren't you going to invite us in?" Nilakshi said to break the awkward silence.

Karan looked at her and saw the softness in her eyes and he realized maybe they were here to talk about what he had asked them to rethink over. He didn't say anything but opened the door wider for them to enter. Avni was still sleeping in the guest bedroom. He had put her there after she had fallen asleep sitting by the fire last night. She hadn't even shifted her position exhausted and dead to the world. He hoped to finish off whatever his parents were here to say before she woke up. He didn't want her upset anymore especially if he could help it.

Nilakshi walked inside and Tej followed. This was the first time he saw the inside of Karan's house and he was amazed. So much so he came to a standstill near the staircase in wonder. It was a beautiful house and excellent architecture. Not for a moment did all the wood feel oppressive. It was elegant and stylish. And then his gaze fell on the framed sketches. He hadn't known Karan had gotten these made. He turned around to see the big one placed above the mantle. He walked up to it and gazed at it. It was the one they had gotten clicked last year. But he didn't remember standing that close to Karan or with that expression. In fact the original photo was different. He hadn't wanted to stand next to Karan he had wanted Uday to stand in the middle but the photographer had insisted and he had had no choice with Nilakshi running short on temper that day. He remembered standing as far as possible from Karan and with a stern expression his hands folded in front of him. Then how come...?

"Avni made it," Karan answered for him.

Tej turned around to stare at his son. Then back at the picture. Avni had sketched the entire thing. So it was she who had made them stand differently. Was this how the girl...Avni viewed them? He was surprised and he was ashamed at the same time. She was a sweet girl. He wasn't a bad judge of character himself and he had known instinctually she was a good girl. Only he had been too blinded by his image and hypocrisy he had failed to see how sweet she really was. And the picture was perfect. It didn't seem it was made by an amateur. She sure did have talent and sensitivity. He felt something inside. What was it? An unfamiliar emotion. Karan's quiet answer had told him he knew what he was thinking. Even after all these years Karan knew what Tej was thinking without him voicing it. He always had had that ability. A keen sense of looking beyond what was presented. The emotion he had been sensing grew. Making him restless. Almost tense. And he swallowed the lump that threatened to choke him with difficulty.