Chapter - 60

Manya couldn't stop grinning. It didn't matter if Uday had decided to give her the silent treatment he was finally talking to Riddhima and if their expressions were to go anything by they seemed pretty much on the right track. She had set up a blind date for him with Riddhima yesterday. The girl had known what was happening her poor brother hadn't. And Manya had counted on his chivalry taking the risk. She knew he wouldn't just leave Riddhima alone there once he met her. And her gamble had paid off. Riddhima had later called her and said thanks. She had told her that all wasn't well yet but she was positive she would be able to get him to come around soon.

Her other brother wasn't pleased with her either. She had practically emotionally blackmailed him into coming for the paragliding trip. And his expression was one permanent scowl right now. That didn't dent her satisfaction one single bit. So what if Avni was upset too. Since she had to take another jump if she wanted the experience of flying like a bird. It hadn't been easy getting her to agree for this. Poor thing. But with Manya's persuasive skills it hasn't been difficult either.

So here they were. While Riddhima and Uday were taking one glider. Karan and Avni were taking the other. And she was going on the third one with the instructor. She knew no matter what the rest of them said they were going to have a blast. She just hoped Karan and Avni would progress from their mutual love for books. Yup, she had asked Avni about it and the girl had gone on and on about the collection Karan had and how she was lucky to have access to it and how grateful that Karan had allowed her to come take the books when she wanted even when he wasn't there. All Manya had done was shake her head and roll her eyes. She was positive if she didn't meddle her brother and Avni would take years if not decades to come together. It was a great day for outdoors. Though it had grown chilly in the mornings and evenings these days but days were still pleasant. And since it was a bit warmer today it was a perfect day for them to take a flight. Literally. She grinned.

Karan wore his helmet. What the hell was wrong with his sister he had no clue. Frankly, he didn't want to know. Had she not thrown the Avni card and how he had promised her the paragliding lesson and that he should keep his promise he would never have come. He was over his cold finally. Avni's halwa remedy had worked its magic strangely. She was a good cook too. She had taken it upon herself to take care of him for the couple of days and though he had protested she had with her sweet smiles and soft voice taken over anyway. He had noticed she did like to help in any way she could. Avni was an avid reader. She had already finished the two books she had borrowed and returned them to him taking two more. He was amazed at her speed. They had discussed the books at leisure. How the hell had he thought she wasn't intelligent. Her insight into what she had read and what she had thought said something else. And he had lightly asked her to slow down. But she had told him she would leave in two months' time and so she wanted to make the most of it. He had been surprised that a month had already gone by and then he had been upset that she would leave in another two. He hadn't been happy at all. And then to his chagrin he had found that he would hate for her to leave. But he knew she couldn't stay here for always. And that had dampened his mood, one more reason why he hadn't wanted to come today. But it was for Avni's sake and he couldn't say no to that.

Avni wasn't sure if she should be doing any of this. The more she got to know Karan the more she fell in love with him. Books were just as excuse for her to see him again. He was so intelligent and so full of ideas. It was amazing. His views on things were so different from anything she had ever heard before and she wanted to absorb as much of him as she could. Her sketchbook was filling up fast. She was restless as if some part of her was trying to escape the tight leash she had bound it with. She wanted to spend as much time as possible with him, build as many memories as she possible could in the short time she had because once she left they were what would help her live the rest of her life. She would never forget him she was sure of that. Who would? He was a great guy. A wonderful human being. A beautiful person. She just hoped she could help him rebuild his relationship with his father. She still didn't know why they were so estranged. For the first time in her life she was curious. For the first time she wanted to cast all she had been taught to the wind and help him out. She looked at him as he got ready. He had helped her first making sure she had the harness and the helmet on. He had already told her what to do. They were to run and jump off and the second her feet left the ground she was supposed to sit in the seat and they would glide down the valley before they landed. She had been unsure but his calm soothing voice had given her the confidence. What would people think if she told them that just being with him she felt she could take on the world? His cold was gone but it seemed he wasn't taking any chances. He was wearing a light running jacket today. She smiled at the picture the tall proud man she had come to know make. He looked every bit the devil he was and every bit the angel. Only without the horns and the wings.

As finally they took off. Avni realized what a vast difference this was. She wasn't plunging at a breakneck speed down a cliff she was going at a gentle, easy pace as the wind helped the glider move around the valley. She could see the shadow their glider made deep down on the ground. She felt air surround her and lift her weightlessly around. It was the first time she knew how birds felt. Free and light. Yes, she had felt something similar during her bungee jump but this was unparalleled. She smiled as Karan guided the glider slowly. She closed her eyes as she let her surroundings take control of her senses. She heard the wind sing in her ears. The sunlight kiss her skin. The vast greenery soothe her soul. Her heart did drop a bit when they came close to landing but she heard Karan's patient voice in her ear from behind reminding her as to what to do and she did. It was as if her mind, body and heart were attuned to his voice. They landed safely some twenty minutes after their jump and once the helmets were off she hugged Karan impulsively.

"Thank you so much," she said and looked at him with wonder and awe and misty eyes, "I will never forget this," she said softly, "ever," she promised.

Karan only stared at the petite face with shining eyes and beautiful soft voice. He couldn't look away for the life of him. The amount of emotion he saw in those eyes wrapped itself around his heart and seared itself to his memory. He would never forget this one moment either. Ever.

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!