Chapter - 79

Karan returned but his anger hadn't reduced. He couldn't believe the bizarre excuses Shalini had given him. She had sacrificed Avni, her own son in her bid to maintain a façade in front of the redundant society. What a shame? How could she live with herself knowing what she had done? What of his parents? Would they now support him in his decision or would they still harp on the old tune? He had given them an answer though. He went upstairs and found Uday sitting on the chair near the fireplace thinking. His gaze fixed on the glowing embers of the burnt wood. He must have heard Karan as he suddenly looked up straight at him.

"She is still sleeping," Uday said and rose.

Karan nodded and turned around. He needed something strong to drink after the emotional roller coaster he had just gone through. He heard Uday follow him downstairs. He opened the bottle and looked at Uday who nodded.

"How did it go?" Uday asked as Karan passed him his glass.

"How do you think?" Karan said angrily.

"I wonder how Avni must have felt when she had found out about Sahil," Uday said as he looked at his glass, "just knowing about what happened to her makes my blood boil and she actually went through it before Sahil ended it," he said and took a swig of the amber liquid his brother had poured for him.

"She thought it would make Sahil normal," Karan said coldly.

"How is that possible?" Uday asked in shock.

"Beats me," Karan said as he downed the contents of his glass and put it on the counter, "why do we forget that we constitute society? We make it. The rules that govern us are made by us but they can be changed to accommodate everyone. That is how it should be. Rigidity only breaks the society. Unfortunately we don't understand that. Anything that is not the way it should be is considered abnormal. Who the hell gives them the right to decide that?" he asked angrily.

"What have you decided bhai?" Uday asked solemnly. He could very well understand his brother's anger. It was not just on society or Shalini it was also directed towards his parents. Uday couldn't understand why his parents couldn't accept Avni? She was a beautiful person both in and out. So what if she had been married and then widowed. It had been for such a short time besides Karan loved her too. She was perfect for him. And yet.

"I told them if Avni would say yes then I will go ahead with or without their blessing," Karan said broodingly. Somewhere he knew Avni would never agree to do that. She was all about bringing him closer to his family not the other way around.

"She would never say yes without their acceptance," Uday countered.

"I know," Karan said and gave a half smile.

"Whatever you decide I will stand in support of you," Uday said as he stood up, "it is late bhai and it has been an ordeal for everyone I think you should rest too," he said, "and if you need anything just give a call," he told his brother then hugging him left.

Karan stood there lost in thought before he decided to go upstairs and sit with Avni. He found sitting on the chair was making him restless. He had let Shalini off the hook very easily. He paced the room. Then as he watched Avni sleep for the first time he felt moisture in his eyes. It had been so long since he had felt an emotion so strong that it was making him want to weep. He sat next to her and held her fragile hand in his large one. It was so limp almost lifeless and he was filled with sudden anxiety. He needed to feel her close just to make sure she was alright. He lay down next to her over the blanket and gently raised her head over his arm holding her close. He found she sought comfort too and he felt humbled. How had she found the courage to go through something like that? Why the hell hadn't she told him this before? He was angry at her for hiding it from him. Had she ever told her mother about what had happened? He was positive she had hidden the details even from her mother. Though what the lady would have done given their circumstances he wasn't sure. He gently stroked her forehead. If only Avni gave him a chance he would make sure she never found a reason to cry. Even if she didn't he would make sure she never found a reason to cry. With that promise made he kissed her forehead gently and watched over her as tears fell silently.

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!