Chapter - 57

"You shouldn't have done that," Avni said quietly.

"You shouldn't have come here alone," Uday replied ignoring what she had just said.

"It was the right thing to do," Avni countered.

"Try telling that to bhai," Uday said then smiled wolfishly, "if he got wind of the fact you went to Riddhima's, alone, especially after that attack you suffered last night he would hogtie you," he said.

"I was supposed to clear things up with her," Avni said defensively, "he said so," she finished.

"Yes, but I am sure he didn't mean right away," Uday replied, "besides you should be resting Avni. You still look awful," he told her.

Avni straightened her hair as if that would make her look better. Uday smiled.

"I owe you an apology too," he said quietly as he took the turn.

"You don't owe me any apology Uday," Avni replied, "I agree I had felt the pressure of it in the beginning but then I had found out you loved her and I had agreed wholeheartedly. What happened yesterday was the pressure I was taking," she explained, "I didn't want Karan to find out for one," she said and Uday gave her a look that said he understood what she was saying, "two Riddhima's constant questions and remarks were a bit too much for me to handle," she said and smiled wanly while Uday looked concerned, "I am not much of an actor and I hate lying anyway, so things just got to me much faster than I had thought. That migraine was brought on all by me and my constant thinking, it had nothing to do with you or anybody else," she said quietly.

"You are something else Avni," Uday said with a smile, "I have yet to meet a more selfless and gentle creature than you. And I am glad you are my friend," he said sincerely.

"Me too," she said and smiled then frowned, "what about Riddhima?" she asked.

"What about her?" Uday said sounding upset again.

"I mean after everything you said to her..." she said and left it at that.

"Avni, one thing I learnt from my brother today is I cannot force her to accept my feelings," he said on a sigh, "no matter how much I want it otherwise. What I did or intended to do wasn't right. That is no way to behave with the girl I love. She should be given a choice in the matter and she has already made up her mind. I agree what happened to her mother wasn't right. A man should be able to take up the responsibility of his family. And this is not because of any gender discrimination but that it is important. If not he shouldn't start one in the first place. I don't have any details and I am sure neither does Riddhima but she has in her own way interpreted things her mom has told her as a precautionary measure so she doesn't end up where she had been once and has decided that any man even remotely similar cannot be trusted. She is still young and needs to learn a lot but the basic principle is no two people are alike and so to judge them equally would be wrong. I hope she understands that sooner than later," he said wistfully, "however, I know it would be difficult for me to just let her go like that but hey, I have my friend and family I guess I will be fine," he said and smiled bravely.

Avni could tell from his voice how emotionally distressed he was. She knew that he was a sweet fellow and he did love Riddhima. Why couldn't Riddhima see that? But she knew the answer to that. She was conditioned to think that way and her own experience had been something she couldn't help but form impressions from. Avni could very well understand Riddhima, she was very similar to her after all. But the look Riddhima had had on her face when Uday had spoken to her especially about how he wouldn't pester her anymore Avni was positive Riddhima had been aghast by it. She had seen the shock enter her eyes and the upset. Avni opened her mouth to tell Uday that but as she saw his clenched jaw and working nerve in the temple she decided to keep quiet. Maybe on the outside Uday was showing he was fine with Riddhima's attitude he actually felt quite the opposite. She sighed. She hoped Riddhima would realize how mistaken she was in her assessment of Uday and will confess her true feelings because somewhere Avni was positive the girl was very much in love with Uday too. She stared out of the window for the rest of the ride.

Some things people had to sort out themselves. Now that everything was in the open Avni hoped Uday and Riddhima will find a way to be together. The question was will she find a way to be with Karan too that is once they both realize they were meant to be together, or will she face a different fate?

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!