𝟢𝟣,𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐥

SAM watched her mom speak to an unfamiliar man. She guessed it was one of her colleagues. A teacher at Etril's Boarding School For Boys. Talks like these often made her wonder why her mom was the principal of the boys, and not the girls.

However, a part of her was very grateful for that; she wouldn't have to spend the coming year close to her mom... a strict, frequently stressed woman.

Sam got her mom's genes and was now taller than most girls she passed. The curly hair was what she gained from her dad, and her skin color a mix of both. 

Her mom was pale, with her hair brushed back so tightly Sam sometimes wished to pull that damn bun out. Her father was rather small. A bit stocky. Dark, curly hair, and his face usually got a sweet smile printed on it.

You could say her parents were the total opposite of each other.

And now she sat next to her father, waiting for mom to finish that boring talk about the boarding school she owned so Sam could finish her back to school routine.

"I heard your dorm is gonna include two other girls." Her father leaned closer by tilting his head.

"Hm."

A chuckle escaped his mouth. "Hating humans again. Original."

"It's not that hard." She groaned and let her head fall on his shoulder. "Hey, if I behave this year, can I not get that forced wedding?"

"Everything is set already. Your mom wants this. She—"

"She's not even from our culture."

"She believes it's better for us all, alright? You'll be safe, protected by a man. Our family is stronger... and expanded."

Sam's jaw clenched. "I don't want it."

"Well, unless you find someone else to marry, you have no choice." He sighed.

"Woah, woah, woah." Her back straightened immediately, attention on now. "You're saying that if I find someone else... I don't have to marry that man who's like twenty years older than me?"

"Sure, if your mom agrees."

One problem, her mom was never gonna do that unless Sam showed up with a holy gentleman.

❤︎︎

Jeff greeted his sister with a grin. His forehead was covered in sweat from basketball, and his red team clothes were still on.

"I know I'm divine, but there's no need to look at me like that." Sam raised an eyebrow. "What's up?"

"I got in the team! Etril's Team! Holy shit. And not just me. I'm with Thomas, Minho, and Alby."

"And that are...?"

"My friends!" He nearly made a jump in the air.

"How come you already made friends before the year even started? We moved here two weeks ago. School starts tomorrow. How?"

"Unlike you, I'm not socially awkward." Jeff wrapped an arm around his sister, leading her into their new kitchen. Small but fancy. "Hey, would you bake those brownies again? They're amazing. Don't say it's because of the baker."

"It's because of the baker." She leaned against the wall. Fidgeted with the millions of bracelets on her hands. "But sure, if I have time. Gotta finish my thing first."

"Man, who still has a back to school routine?"

"Literally everyone who isn't a disgusting little rat, Jeff." She sighed as she spoke.