𝟤𝟧,𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞

ANOTHER week later the doorbell rang.

Sam got some words gifted in that one week. When she showed up with the F for Spanish, a D for history, and another F for geography, she'd been called some... unpleasant things.

She hadn't been enough, had been an horrible daughter, the worst daughter someone could ask for, a mistake, someone who didn't try... yeah.

And apparently, she had started crying because she finally realized what a piece of shit she was, not because the words hurt. That's what her mother said, at least.

She did really study for the tests. She did, but when she sat there, in the classroom, staring at the test and watching the words fade, or the letters get mixed up, she suddenly couldn't remember anything.

The exhaustion caused part of that. The whole day, she wandered through the school slowly and with her head lowered, the tiredness making her eyes feel thick and head heavy. But then, when she lay in her bed at night, she was either wide awake or just couldn't fall asleep.

Only because she was worried about Minho and kept overthinking, mostly about her mother.

Oh, and she missed her father.

And Jeff hadn't showed up in the weekends. Her mother claimed he was busy at school, which was probably not the truth.

Sam's attention got drawn off her work when again, the doorbell rang. Finally, her mother opened.

Not thirty seconds later, it closed again.

"Who was that?" Sam asked when her mother bursted into her room, jaw tight and fists nearly clenched. "And what are you doing?"

She watched her mom walk over to the window. No light shined through, because it was already eight AM. Stars didn't comfort Sam, and the moon had disappeared behind clouds. Just... darkness, except for a lantern.

Her mother opened the window, mumbling something, and looked down. "Don't you dare, Kid! You're not Romeo and my daughter is not Juliet. Get away from her window!"

Sam got up so fast she nearly hit her head.

A loud sigh. "My apologies, ma'am!"

She rushed to the window, too. "Minho?" Looked down and saw a dark figure with recognizable hair jump back down on the ground. "Minho!"

Her body filled with joy. He came checking up on her. He was in state to climb through her window after her mother slammed the door closed in front of him.

And the joy was gone when her mother smashed the window closed, and made sure the curtain covered any sight of the outside world.

Sam's smile faded. Fast, she felt herself fall into the dark pit again. "Mom–"

"Don't get any ideas," she said, and walked to the door. "Tomorrow you have maths. Go work, Samira."

❤︎︎

"Hey, Samira." To her surprise, Jorge pulled a chair with him and sat down in front of the girl. It was Friday, just an hour after the maths test she already knew she failed. "I've noticed some changes in your behavior and when I looked at your grade list, it wasn't the very best. Took a big turn. Are you all right?"

Sam looked up from her book. At his kind eyes. The slight wrinkles in his darker skin, and the smile on his lips. "I think I'm fine."

"You think?" He leaned back into his chair. "Hermana, no offense, but the bags around your eyes are darker than my past and your uniform looks anything but decent."