𝟣𝟩,𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

THE days followed easily.

One night she got more sleep than the other night, one day was more fun than the other, et cetera.

It actually went very well, even though they were a group of teenagers on vacation all alone. They divided tasks, didn't get into much fights, and... well, accepted each other.

Sam enjoyed every second of it. She had gotten closer to Gally, and often spoke to the girls. There were no mothers annoying her, no grades to worry about... absolutely nothing to worry about, except for sometimes, Minho.

His mood changes were crazy. He'd wake up grumpy as hell and then at breakfast, he'd be smirking and making sarcastic comments again, or he'd be randomly closed up for reasons Sam didn't understand.

So, she tried to contact him. She obviously thought about it first, and realized there was no way she could've been annoying. She hadn't minded him or stuck her nose into his business until now, when he sat on the couch with pale skin.

"Hey." Careful not to scare him, she sat down. "You alright?"

He looked up. His dull eyes met hers. "Yeah."

"I'm here for you, remember?" Sam had to resist the urge to take his hand. "Any plans for today?"

"No."

Her smile twitched. Lightened, in a negative way. "Want to make plans?"

"No."

"Alright." She pulled her knees up to her chest. "So did you already light the candles Newt gave you a week ago?"

"No. We don't have a lighter," he said, eyes focused on the distance in front of them.

"I'm sure there's one in the—"

"I'll light them up another time," he cut her off.

Her voice got stuck in her throat for a second, just like her breaths. "Okay. Well, do you— I don't know, want to do something? Bake? I'm sure there's a movie or—"

"Not really."

"It's my turn to cook dinner. If you're very bored, you could cut the—"

"No. I don't feel like it right now."

She looked down. Bit her lip to punish herself for the pain in her chest his snappy replies caused. People had bad days. He didn't have to reply happily to everything. "You'd rather want me to leave you alone, don't you?"

"Yeah, Samira. I think I do."

Like a literal stab in the heart.

The coldness in his voice made her wonder if she did anything wrong. If she hurt him by any means.

"Okay," it barely came out as a whisper before she managed to turn the volume of her voice up. "Okay— uh." Just leave. He asked. But she couldn't. "Why the full name, though?"

"Does it matter?"

She shrugged, her whole head averted from him. "I don't know. Does it?"

"No, it doesn't," he said, almost spat. "Would you please leave me alone now?"

"Yeah," her voice cracked. "Of course."

Tears were burning in her eyes as she walked away. She couldn't help it. Just... the worst thing was that being told to leave in a way like that while you're just trying to help, and especially when it makes you feel like you're the problem, though you don't even know what you did wrong.

Most people of their group were shopping groceries. The ones that stayed, were still asleep or as Newt and Thomas, trying to pretend they weren't secretly dating.

The house felt cold. Made her shiver. The warm lights that were usually on shined no light now. Just the piercing white of the snow outside.

She sat down on her bed with a book, but wasn't able to read. Her mind kept wandering off. Off to Minho, her mom, or school. The currently bad things.

A breath left her mouth, shaky and quiet. She put her book down and sat straight up, blinking a few times. She felt like crying. Yup. It had been a long time since she had cried and not much people were in presence now, so why wouldn't she?

A tear rolled down her cheek, and it got followed by even more. Once it started, she couldn't even stop anymore.

Her shoulders shook. Tears wet her shirt and soon the pillow, where she had buried her face in. Sobs were muted into the material and caused her to barely notice the person walking in, until a gentle hand lay down on her back.

"Sam— hey, I heard your cries. Do you need a hug or something?" Gally dropped his weight on the bed by sitting down. He rubbed her back. "Not trynna be a creep or anything, of course. Just—"

She already wrapped her arms around him. A friend who's arms she could cry in. Awesome, actually.

Her voice was hoarse when she finally finished hiccuping and letting tears fall onto Gally's skin. "Damn, that feels better."

She could feel and hear him laugh. "I bet it does. And I'm glad. Do you need anything?"

Sam let go of him, shaking her head. "Thank you, though. I needed that."

"Of course." He handed her a tissue. "It's not dirty, I promise. Let me know if you want to talk, yeah?"

"Yeah." She cleared her nose in the tissue. "Thanks again, Gally."

And he left with a small smile.

Sam found herself appreciating him for not even bugging anything. But wait— did Minho feel like that? Was she bugging him too much?

Sighing, Sam went for another steamy shower. Then she made herself tea and watched as her friends approached back from the groceries, with bags full of food.

She didn't take the spot next to Minho and just relaxed on her side of the table at lunch. Happy with the food they brought, she started eating.

And sometimes, she glared at Minho.

Pain. He was in pain. It was dripping off his face. He tensed and scrunched his nose. Barely ate anything, and blinked unusually often.

She wanted to reach out to him and hug him like he was a baby or something.

Well, she'd hug anyone who was struggling if they wanted.

Hm. Kind of made her mind wander to love languages. She liked physical touch from the right people. Her father, Jeff, her friends... Minho, and whatever title he held. Whatever.

After lunch, Minho went upstairs and she decided to leave him, even when she realized she left both her book and her phone in the bedroom.

Eventually, she chose to hang out with Harriet and Brenda.

She in fact did not choose for her relationship with Minho to turn cold, but it did.

He didn't speak much anymore, so she decided not to bother him with anything. Sometimes, she asked how he was doing, and he sometimes asked her, but it didn't go deeper than that anymore.

Until, two days later.