𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐬, 𝟣

"Ma'am, we need to go to the hospital-"

"Shut up."

I bite my lip. Close my eyes and try to calm down because my Sammy is unconscious on the ground with her brother and mom lingering around her without taking any action.

"She's hurt. She-"

"Please be quiet, Minho."

A sigh leaves my mouth. I nearly pull out my own hair from frustration. I should've called an ambulance straight after we crashed, but Sammy was breathing and there was no blood anywhere, so I-for once, because I'd never risk her life-saved some more bills to pay.

But now, I'm worried because Jeff, the medical expert, hasn't said anything.

And also, I'm frustrated because Sahil didn't pick up and I don't want Edith anywhere close to Sammy right now.

Unfortunately, the woman is way crueler than I thought she was, and I'm not sure how much she actually cares about Sammy seeing she one, won't call an ambulance after at least five requests of mine, and two, was the one in the car.

The gray Toyota that drove away after we crashed was hers. I knew it. I recognized the car, and the shadow of her bun and posture.

I'm not actually sure, but I think she might be a psychopath. I'm not even kidding. She might actually be one.

Understandable she hates me and maybe wants to send me to death... but her own daughter? I'm confused. And neither do I know who to tell this.

I can't let Sammy stay in the same household as that woman. And also not Jeff, my friend, and also not Sahil, a man so sweet I wonder how he even got together with Edith Gray.

I think I'll tell Sahil first. Hopefully, he'll get divorced. I don't want to ruin people too much but I think everyone would be happier and healthier with that.

After a few talks with Sahil, I also mentioned things Edith has done or said, so this should be enough to get Sammy safer.

"Get in the car," the woman barks at me, and I obey. Obviously, Jeff is her favorite child so I don't worry she's gonna crash us.

Though there might be an option she opens my door as we drive past a cliff just when it appears something seems to be wrong with my seatbelt.

Okay, I'm going too far.

We drive all the way to Sammy's house, where Jeff lies the girl down on a bed and continues checking for injuries as Edith turns to me, and I do my best to hold eye contact with those hawk eyes, but they look off right now.

Did she drink?

"What happened?"

I'm sure you'd know.

But I don't say that. Instead, "Someone behind us was horning. The road was slippery and-"

"I don't care about the circumstances. I want to know what happened."

I sigh, hiding how worried I am. "What did it look like to you? We slipped and fell downhill."

"We?" She spats. "You slipped. You brought my daughter into danger and you couldn't protect her well enough."

I'm pretty sure I did protect Sammy. The second we fell, I turned around and grabbed her, like I promised.

"I've lost my patience on you, Minho," she continues.

"I don't give a shit," I say, not surprising myself because the only reason I've been holding back these kind of words toward a lot of people was because Sammy, the one with the golden heart, was there. Right now... she's unconscious so she can't hear my words.

I walk past her mother and peek over Jeff's shoulder. "Will she be okay? I think we should call an ambulance after all."

Look. Again, I should've called one before. But I was also somewhat in the middle of a panic attack when I found out Sammy was unconscious.

A hand grips the shoulder that our crash bruised and I wince when Edith pulls me back. "Do not speak to me like that. I don't want you to hang out with my daughter anymore. I don't care what Sahil thinks about this or how much this cliche true love is, you're not speaking to her."

What if I just yell in her face that I know it was her in the car? I wonder.

What would Jeff do, then?

"But, ma'am, no offense," I hold back a smile, "if you don't believe in true love, what's going on with you and Sahil?"

Her face grows red, then purple.

They might as well get divorced right now. Sahil's love for this woman is making him oblivious while she doesn't even seem to care about him.

"Go home," she says, her voice threateningly low. "Right now. Go back to that disgusting stack that wasn't even disgusting enough for those scandalous people to live in."

Ouch. That does kind of hurt.

How can I help it that my drug addicted aunt spends half of her time on the streets and that my father hates me because I apparently killed my mom?

I look up at the woman. "Fine." And glare at Jeff again. "Please tell me she's okay later. Next practice, or something. Send a text."

"He's not contacting you in any way," Edith says. I walk out of the room. "I'll ban you from the school!"

I certainly hope she doesn't do that.