𝟦𝟥,𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

THE boy looked over her shoulder, at the medallion where a picture of someone who looked a suspicious lot like him stood, laughing.

Minho stared at it for a long time, and the silence felt stabbing to Sam. Then, he nodded. "That's me. I was eight. The one time my father seemed to like me a little bit. I have that picture in my room, too."

The color drained away from Sam's face. "So he was the one in this car," she managed to say, the shock making her freeze. "With the gun."

Minho was either not surprised at all, or just hid it very well. "Probably. My aunt wouldn't give a crap about a picture. Neither would she try to kill me. She finds me useless anyway. But my father has some unexplainable hatred."

She held back tears. Both options were bad. Her mother could be lying, which she doubted. But that meant Edith tried to kill her own daughter, or Minho's father tried to kill his own son.

Such lovely parents.

"This is messed up," she murmured. "And I'm so sorry I never reached out more about your parents and that you had to go through—"

"Sammy." He grabbed both of her shaking hands. "Don't be sorry."

"Your own father—"

"He's crazy," he said. "I really think Mom's death drove him crazy and seeing me, because I apparently look like her, made him even worse. My whole family is crazy. Drug addicted aunt, insane father, self-harming son... dead mother. It doesn't even surprise me anymore."

"Don't say that," she replied quietly. "Don't talk about yourself like that."

"It's true. I'll probably end up just like them."

"No, you won't," she spoke, a little louder this time. "You're nothing like them, and I don't even know them. You're kind, funny, caring, and you wouldn't harm anyone who hasn't done anything wrong. You tried to fight a grown man when you were ten because he assaulted women, Minho. You're perfect."

He blinked a few times, eyes glossier. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Sammy."

She sniffed, rubbing her eyes as she laughed through some tears. "Well, you won't lose me so you're not going to find out soon."

The corners of his lips moved up a slight bit. "I don't think I want to find out anything more in the next decades. These weeks were crazy enough."

She pressed her forehead to his. "We probably got a lot to fix right now. After that... peace." A chuckle left her mouth.

He smiled. "Can we get out of this car first? It's uncomfortable."

"Yeah." Sam laughed as they walked back inside their house, but that faded when she realized they now had to tell everyone who had been next to her mother.

"Want to tell them?" She looked up at Minho. "The police has to do something about it. We can't let your father get away with this. And honestly, she may be my mother, but I think my life's better without her in it."

"We'll tell them." He nodded, and they walked back inside the living room.

Jeff was the first to notice them. "Found anything?"

The couple shared a glance before Minho nodded. "We know who must've been in the car."

Sahil's attention immediately turned on. "Who?"

Sam took Minho's hand and again, squeezed it. He let go of a breath. "My father. We found a medallion with a picture of me in it. I've seen my dad walk around with it."