𝟦𝟤,𝐚 𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞

WHEN Sam awoke, it was in Jeff's bed.

And when she remembered everything that happened, she wanted to do a lot of things. Cry, overthink what a divorce could mean for her life, wonder if her dad meant it, and consider if her mother really was the one in that car.

To drive your own daughter into death while they never did anything to you was too insane for words.

So with the hope it might've not been true, Sam walked downstairs, her head aching as if she got a hangover.

In the living room, she saw just her brother and father. Her father stood next to Jeff, who was bent over and inspecting... something Sam hoped it was not.

"The hell are you doing and why does it look like you're working at a crime scene and inspecting the vomit?" She said weakly, attempting to bite the words out, but her voice was hoarse and quiet.

"Sam!" Her father attacked her with a hug and she didn't hug back as tightly as always. Right now, physical touch was not what she craved for.

She looked at Jeff. "Are you going to answer my question? I don't need to know where Mom is right now or what happened after I fell asleep, just let me know why you're mixing freaking puke."

"Mom threw up," Jeff explained. "And I know it's disgusting, too. But I refuse to believe she didn't drink or take anything the night of the accident. She can't be that horrible."

"So you're looking through what has been in her body before?"

"You've been in her body before. I've been in her body before. Honestly, I don't see a difference."

"I see a big difference between us and vomit, Jeff."

He didn't reply anymore. With those stupid tweezers, he took ahold of something. "Aha! Got it."

Sam stared at the white thing between the metal, frowning. "That could be anything."

"This..." Jeff put the thing in a bag as if he really was investigating a crime scene. "...is drugs."

Their father crossed his arms. "Am I supposed to be concerned you know what drugs look like?"

"We get a lot of education during my medical subjects," Jeff explained quickly. "I don't do drugs."

"But Mom, that strict, serious woman, does?" Sam lifted her eyebrows, not really believing this. She couldn't just rely on Jeff and say her mother took drugs.

"Maybe. Or..." Her brother got up. Lay the plastic bag down on the counter. "Someone else drugged her."

"We're not in a crime movie, Jeff." She bit her lip. "And I won't believe you before a drug expert confirmed it."

The doorbell rang. Sam was the closest by, so opened it and then suddenly, physical touch didn't sound that bad at all, because she was already burying herself inside Minho's arms.

"Woah—" He hugged her back, firmly, as he rubbed her back. "Hey, sorry I ruined things but I couldn't let you live under the same roof as the one who—"

"I know," she assured. "I think it's good that you told Dad."

"I hope," he murmured, kissing her head. "What's that smell, though?"

"Jeff decided to look through Mom's vomit and found something he calls drugs, but it could be anything." She walked back into the living room, where Minho received a few more greets, and pointed at the bag Jeff lay down on the counter.

Minho walked over to it. Grabbed the thing, and looked. A few seconds later, "You might actually be right, J."

"Is it a good thing you know what drugs look like?" Sahil asked again. "This whole thing kind of worries me, kids."