𝟤𝟤,𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭

AFTER sharing some hugs and more "Happy New Year!"'s the family sat down at the dinner table.

"So, tell me," their father said, pricking his fork into the beef, "how was it?"

"Awesome!" Jeff immediately replied. Sam nodded in agreement. "We did all kinds of stuff and the house was amazing."

"Cool, cool." Sahil smiled. "I'm glad you made it alive out of a house full with teenagers."

Sam chuckled under her breath. "Wasn't so hard. Everyone was pretty caring."

Jeff hummed. Looked at her. "I'm not sure about that. But of course, since Sam is so obsessed with her boyfriend, she barely notices anything that happens around her."

Not true. Come on, she wasn't even sure what to think herself. Yes, she liked him. Yes, she'd enjoyed that kiss a lot, and yes, she had butterflies around him. Did her legs get weak? Sometimes. Did she enjoy—

Okay, fine.

"Yeah, how's Minho doing?" Her father's face lit up, her mother's face almost darkened. "I haven't seen him in a while."

"He's doing great," she confirmed. "He was actually here thirty minutes before, but you were in the kitchen and Mom," she glared at the woman, "wanted Minho to leave as fast as he could."

"What, come on, Honey." Her father lay a hand on his mother's shoulder. "I love that boy. Could've allowed him to greet me!"

"Well, I don't love him," her mother shot back, chin lifted.

"Give him a chance," Sam urged. "Come on, Mom. Minho was so polite and—"

"I've given him plenty of chances."

"No, you haven't!" Sam had to stop herself from jumping up. "You've called him an attention seeker when he needed serious help! You can't even let me be happy with someone, Mom. Haven't you noticed a change in his behavior already?"

Her eyes widened. "Please tell me he didn't tell you about that stupid—"

"He did," she cut her mother off. "I found out and then he told me. An attention seeker? Seriously, Mom? After years of hiding it, he told someone and you call him an attention seeker? He even tried to hide it when I found out!"

"I do not want you to get involved with that kind of things, Samira." Edith held up a finger. Pointed it at her daughter. "It's a dark world and before you know it, you're doing it yourself. He's gonna drag—"

Sam got up, and disappeared upstairs, into her room.

Great start.

Frustrated, the girl sat down on her bed. Could her mom just not interfere for once? Minho wasn't an attention seeker. He had apologized a million times, only because she found out and he was afraid she would be either repulsed, or affected.

Her mother wasn't gonna stop her from helping him. She'd even recreate the freaking Harry Potter scene in the second movie, where Ron and his brothers came to save Harry after the Dursleys locked him up in his room.

"Sam, Cheeni, is it okay if I come in?"

The Indian nickname had always been there, except her father didn't use it as often anymore.
"Yeah, Dad."

Soon, he was sitting next to her with an arm around her. Sam sighed, resting her head on his shoulder. "Mom doesn't even hide she hates him. Even in front of him, she shows it. And it's not to protect me from anything. It's just pure hate."

His grip tightened around her. "I love the kid, if it helps," he murmured. "Even after one weekend. He said he'd love to go fishing with me! Jeff usually doesn't volunteer like that."