Forty two

"So..."
"Well..."
"Indeed."
Gwaine, Lancelot and Arthur were standing at the side of the trainingfield, and they knew they had to talk about it. About what had happend.
"I'm sorry to say, Arthur, but I think we have a problem with Merlin and Lucy," Gwaine said. Arthur said nothing, but he knew Gwaine was right. In this situation... Merlin and Lucy could cause trouble. Specially Merlin.

Gwen had been surprised, when she had found her maid going through her clothing closet. She had even been more surprised by her maid's reaction.
"Lucy... How wonderful to see you here again."
It had been a long, long time since the maidservant had left the Chambers, but the fact that the queen had spoken to her... She had given an unexpected reaction.
"DON'T! Please don't, please don't, please don't-"
"It is okay... It is just me."
The maid had screamed this loud the window in the room had broken, and had run out of the room, so that was why Gwen was on her way to Gaius right now. Entering his Chambers, the old man almost ran to the door.
"My lady, I need you to be very quiet," he whispered. In short, he told everything that had happend to the queen. How Merlin had woken up for the first time that night, how he had almost killed Arthur, Gwaine and Lancelot because they had been IN the room, and how he had refused to see anyone, except him and Lucy.
"Gaius... Is there a possibility I can speak to him?" Gwen asked.
"Maybe," Gaius answered. She could see... Something was wrong.
"I'm affraid... I don't know if it's safe."
"I will take my chances."
Gaius went to the door of Merlin's room, and a few seconds later, he was back.
"He has very oversensitive senses right now. Please, be careful my lady." "Don't worry Gaius. I will."
Carefully, she went into the room, closing it immediately after.
It was dark. The only thing that brought light, was a little candle.
The candle lighted Lucy and Merlin their Faces. Merlin... She was kind of shocked to see him. He looked more pale then ever, and he was obviously scared of her. Lucy was holding his hand, and was trying to comfort him.
"When you speak, it will feel to him like you are screaming as a sirene in his ear. Choose your words wisely."
"Just tell me... What happend?"
Merlin looked at Lucy, like they were talking through their minds, and slowly, Merlin went into Gwen her direction. When he touched her hand, Gwen gasped when she saw it.
The viewings. The torture. Everyone Merlin and Lucy cared about being tortured. Them being tortured. And the sickness. Oh, the sickness. She felt sorry for them like no one ever had.
"That is what happend," he whispered. Lucy grabbed his hand again.
"How long?" Gwen asked.
"To you, it were a few months. To us, it were 300 years."
Gwen shivered. She... She didn't know what to say.
"Then say nothing."
"I only say thank you."

That afternoon, she told everything to Arthur, who was mad at first she had visited them. But he understood now. Oh, he understood.
"The only torture worse then being tortured yourself, is seeing your loved ones being tortured," he said.
God, he wanted to help them. He really wanted to. But he didn't know how.

"I love you," she said to him, speaking in the old language of the old religion.
"I am nothing without you," he said, and he kissed her. He kissed her for the first time.
"That was.... Nice."
"Never kissed before?" He asked.
"I am affraid not."
Only with each other, they could act like they used to. Being around with the others, their friends... It hurt too much. Gods... They were just unable to do it.
"Do we ever need to leave this room?" Merlin asked her.
"The day of the children is in two days. Don't you think... We should..."
Oh, he knew exactly what she meant. He knew.
"I... Can't. Not yet."
She understood. His Powers... They were too overwelming.
"Their daughter has magic."
Merlin shivered.
"She will evolve."
"We need to protect her from that."