Fifty four

Arthur threw his plate to the servant, and the servant ran out of the room. His meeting hadn't been that great, and since Jason was out doing something for him, he was stuck with someone out of the kitchens.
Secretly, he enjoyed throwing plates at servants. Just like he had always done with Merlin.
"I am gone for a while, and the first thing you do, is throwing plates at my replacement? I am disappointed, Arthur."
For some weird reason, Arthur wasn't even surprised his friend was standing at the window, looking outside.
"He was an idiot, you know that," Arthur replied.
When Merlin turned around, Arthur could see he looked sad. And tired.
"It feels good to see you again," Arthur said. "How are you doing?"
"I proposed to Lucy."
It was the first thing what came up in his mind.
"You finally did it," Arthur grinned. "I thought you would never do it."
A Sharp pain in his back. Merlin moaned in silence.
"I..."
He closed his eyes. Arthur remembered Merlin was back on huis feet for the first time since a while.
"You should sit," Arthur said. Merlin accepted this offer with joy, and sat down, scepter in his hand.
"When we feel both better again, we will have a small ceremony in the forest. One of the druïds will lead the ceremony."
"You know you could also do it in the castle, right?" Arthur said.
"I know. It... It is not our place to be the centre of attention."
And for one time... Arthur understood. He understood completely.
All these years he had known Merlin, the man had never taken any credit for his actions. And he still didn't wanted to.
"I understand. When... When do you think you can start your position as court sorcerer?"
Images. Demons. Faces. Merlin hold the edge of the table like it was something very precious to him.
Arthur knew something was off.
"I think this had been enough, my lord."
Lucy had appeared, putting her hands on Merlin his shoulder.
"I suppose you are right," Merlin said in the language only the two of them understood.
Arthur nodded. Lucy smiled.

When evening had fallen, Merlin had gone outside, after a few hours of sleep.
God, he did feel tired. But he had to go.
He had to speak to someone.
When he arrived into the Woods, he called out to the dragon, and after a few minutes, the old dragon had arrived.
"It has been a long, long time, young friend," the dragon said. "And by he great gods of Albion, you have been through more changes then anyone else."
That moment... Merlin fell down on the ground, and started crying. For the first time since the battle of Camelot, he really broke. He really Fell apart.
"You have all reasons to cry, young friend," Kilgarrah answered. "The burden on your shoulders became only bigger, isn't it? I can look through you, young warlock," the dragon said. "You were powerful before, but now... You could destroy the world without even moving."
"Is that supposed to cheer me up?" Merlin asked.
"Of course it is not," the dragon said. "Just a few know how to handle such a responsibility."
"But it hurts!" Merlin answered. "It is killing me from the inside out. I keep seeing the memories everywhere! You have no idea how often I have thought of-"
"Merlin, you have no reason to think about that ever again," the dragon answered. "You shouldn't think about that ever again."
"Why not?" Merlin asked. "Since I have this Bloody scepter, my head feels like I am going out of my mind! These Powers, I-"
"Merlin, you know the scepter is supposed to help you, right?" The dragon asked. "And there is someone who understands you. The young Lucy knows exactly what you are going through. She said yes to your proposal. She is going to be your wife."
"I know," he answered. "I know. But what is the scepter exactly supposed to do?"
"The scepter! Ah, it is supposed to help you, to ease your burden. It channelises your Powers. It makes you feel better."
"That... That is great," Merlin answered.
"But there is indeed something else you need to know," Kilgharrah said. "You and Lucy were right. On the age of sixteen, Ygraine will start evolving. There is no running from that. Only facing it."
"That... That is horrible," Merlin answered.
"It might be, young warlock. It might be. But you will still have sixteen years to help her."
Merlin understood what that meant.
The choice was up to them. Preparing her, or not.