Seventy-two

Merlin knew it was for the best that he would handle this on his own.
Ygraine was literally crawling herself out of the cocoon and if he didn't interfer, she could easily destroy the entire palace.
"Merlin!"
Arthur had found his way to their chambers.
"Stay there!"
The girl was standing right up now, completely shaking. Her thoughts made Merlin cringe. She was desperate, craving for something... Something.
"Evander, I need you here."
"Do as your father says," he heard Lucy hiss to him in the other room. While Merlin was muttering spells to keep Ygraine calm, Evander came in, slowly.
If Merlin his plan would work, the princess would probably be better off then he and his wife ever had. If not...
"I think you are the only one who will be able to reach her," Merlin said. "Be careful."
"Father, are you sure-"
"Evander, can you listen to me for this one time?"
The tension in the room could explode any minute.
"Ygraine, I know you are in so, so much pain right now. Can you hear me? It's me, Evander."
The look on Ygraine her face was one Merlin had seen before; it was how sorcerers looked like when they were doubting if someone should stay alive or not.
"Every sound probably hurts. You feel like you are crawling out of your own skin. I know. My parents have told me their story more then thousand times. I know you're hurting. I know. It's okay. You're gonna be okay."  

Slowly, Evander started walking towards Ygraine. If only this would work... "I'm here to help you. I'm going to help you, but you have to let me." 

When she broke down in Evander his arms, Merlin knew his plan had succeeded. For now.