Chapter 1 - Two months later

I was sitting in my new dorm, getting ready for my first day of university which was tomorrow, while James lounged on his own bed being as unhelpful as ever. But I was getting ahead of myself. Why don't I go back two months, where this all started...

"I think I'm your guardian angel." He said with a slightly shaking voice, like he was scared I yell at him, that I'd hurt him. But I laughed. It seemed like the only reasonable thing to do. I mean exhausting was taking over, I'd barely gotten seven hours of sleep the night before and it had to be close to three am. Plus all that running I'd done earlier tonight.

"Is that why you called the cops?" I demand my anger from before suddenly back. Forget about all this none sense for a moment, I'd probably never get to go back there to paint because the cops would suspicious and it had the perfect wall space.

"What? No." He said with disbelief lacing his tone. "I didn't call the cops. Wait how is that the only thing you care about right now?"

"Well surely I must be delusional so yes that was what I wanted to know." I reply completely honest. I mean I have to be seeing things so why wouldn't I ask about that. Now it was his turn to laugh, expect I didn't know why he was laughing.

"You're not seeing things." He told me in a suddenly bold voice, like he needed me to believe him.

"Maybe I should just come back tomorrow. Or maybe I'll realize I've got the wrong person in the morning" He said to himself before shaking his head rapidly, I almost thought he was going to give himself whiplash.

"Hey James, if those are real wings then can I feel them?" I casually ask, I mean he couldn't say yes, this wasn't actually happening. But instead I was surprised to see him turn a bright red that could be clearly seen in the dimly lighted forest and his eyes widened slightly.

"Um, well, that's a bit of an... intimate place for angel." He told me, rubbing the nape of his neck. I found myself blushing. I mean no one just blush on demand the way he did so he had to be telling the truth right? At least about that.

"Oh, uh, sorry." I said avoiding eye contact for the moment.

"But if you still don't believe me there are other ways I can prove it." He took a step towards me, folding his wings away and extending his hand for the second time tonight, except the reasoning was different now. With an unsure look and sigh I took it only to be pulled off the table and into his arms. My face was hidden in his chest but a second later he let me go and we were in my room. No way, this couldn't be happening, I mean things like these just didn't happen. But then again imagining being in your room is on a whole other level than imagining wings.

"Alright, I'll bite." I say finally giving in. I plopped down on my bed exhausted and not planning on standing any longer. So this guy, James, was my guardian angel. Well that's so helpful now, I mean where was he these past seventeen years as I endured the more than teasing from my peers and the more than drunken yells and hits from my father. This was real rich not that I was actually believing all this. James was my guardian angel okay cool, I'll let him explain everything, he might not exactly be human but it's the closest thing to talking to one I've got. I gestured for him to sit down as well, I had a feeling this wasn't going to be one of those short stories, and I have to say now that I'm starting to believe what he says, it's got me curious.

"I've been down on earth for seven years," He began, "Most angels are sent down at the age ten, like I was. We are to stay hidden, observe the humans first hand, until the time comes. Before we are born, before the person we are meant to look out for is born, it is already decided which angel will guard which human. All humans have guardian angels but they all get them at different times. A majority of those times the angel does not reveal themselves to the human, only ever watching over them. All angels live forever, but can be killed, we can appear as any age."