Chapter 3 - Bored without you

Class ended at exactly 12:00 o'clock and I was getting hungry. I only had twenty minutes till my next class so I headed to the cafeteria with Jack, Crystal and Sage to grab something quickly. Class had been fairly boring but the teacher was great. We were supposed to call her Professor Jensen but she told us to just call her Jane. She was nice and started class by telling us the rules, which weren't many, and that she let students listen to music, as long as she wasn't talking. She went over the things we'd be doing in the class and then we spent the rest of class doing zen doodles, but I spent a lot of time conversing with Jack, Crystal and Sage. They were really nice and pretty interesting people that I wouldn't mind being friends with them. It was a weird sensation having someone other than James. I mean I haven't told James everything but definitely more then I'd probably tell this guys. It was ruff and I didn't like talking about it. I learned that I'd have Crystal and Sage in my advanced painting class but none of them were in my English literature class which was next. Sage and Crystal actually had that class first today. I grabbed a container with a sandwich and quickly ate is beside Jack. We all exchanged numbers before I said goodbye to the trio and bought a bottle of Perrier water to take with me. I still had ten minutes to get to my next class which was good cause I didn't really know where I was going. I stuffed the bottle in my bag while I searched for my campus map in the mess that was now my bag. I really didn't know how it got like this in like four hours but it did. Without looking where I was going I stumbled over the uneven walkway and stumbled into someone who caught me from pushing us both down to the ground.

"Sorry bout that." I mumbled as I shifted my bag strap and straightened myself.

"Do you ever watch where you're going." The person asked with a hard, rude tone. Of course it had to be Max, just my luck. But I was done bowing my head, two months ago I would've mumbled another sorry and left, sure I threw a few comebacks here and there but I wasn't going to hold back anymore.

"Who ate your bowl of sunshine this morning, thundercloud?" I responded with what should have been a joking manor but was in fact harsh and mocking.

"I see the cat finally let go of your tongue after all these years." He shot back making me roll my eyes.

"Hey Max, I'm just gonna head class, I'll meet you there when you're done chit chating." The boy who had been standing by Max said before continuing in the direction they were headed before. Max just glared at his retreating friend, probably for leaving him, while I just said,

"Well I'll be off. I need to find this building before I'm late." I added in quieter tone before I began to walk again, looking down at the large, complicated map.

"Wait." Max called out with a reluctant tone. I turned as he dragged a hand down his face with a sigh before he continued, not meeting my eyes with his, "What class do you have?" I was utterly shocked but quickly regained myself before saying,

"What difference does it make to a prat like you."

"Ha ha." He said sarcastically, "Just tell me Reed."

With a huff I told him that I had English literature. "C'mon." He mumbled before walking off in the direction he was headed before. Following I still protested.  

"I don't need your help. Besides you'll be late if you do." I didn't get what Max was doing.

"No I won't." He said in a tone that told me not to say anything else. Of course I wanted to say more but decided that I'd rather not be late for class, even if that meant having Max help me out. After walking for five minutes we got to class only a couple minutes before it was supposed to start.

"Thanks... Gilbert." I said quietly, deciding after a moment of hesitation to just call him by his last name instead of throwing a third insulting name at him. I walked towards the back of the giant class that was set up much like my first period class had been, and sat in the second last row on the right side again. Even though I came in the left side. Max took the seat right behind me and when I turned to question what he was doing I noticed that the guy he had been walking with before was sitting in the very last row. I shook my head of all thoughts and turned to the front as the teacher stepped forward. I set my bag on the chair to my right and pulled out my notebook. Professor Clark handed out a page of things we'd need over the course of the year. It was pretty much a list of books. There were five and one was a book of poetry. He told us about the kinds of things we'd be doing through out the year and how his class worked. Class flew by and before I knew it, class was ending and Professor Clark was reminding us to have everything by Wednesday, which was when our next class was. Walking out of the building with my canvas bag hanging off my shoulder I spotted James leaning against the building. I greeted him with my eyes and we continued to walk like I was alone, meaning I didn't talk while that was all James did.