Chapter 28 - As was I

(Time skip to mid January)

"Alright class settle down." Professor called as I took my seat in advanced painting. I'd been running a bit late but was lucky that I hadn't arrived late. I greeted my friends with a small smile and a nod that they returned as Professor began to speak again, "Okay, today we will beginning our next project. Last term we talked a lot about techniques and we will again but first I want you to all do what I call a free project. You will have all free range, you'll chose the medium you want to use, what you want to paint on, and what you want to paint. This project will be done outside of class but you will have access to this room should you ask and the supplies in here. Today is the only class I'll give you to plan it or ask any questions. Get started." What I liked about the teachers here at this school was that they didn't waste no time getting to the point and starting a project. People began moving, diving into the their bags for something or leaning over to talk to the people around them. I, reached for my bag, pulling out my sketch book and a pencil.
"So what are you two gonna do?" Crystal asked leaning towards Sage and I.
"I was thinking maybe a water color portrait." Sage said before unzipping her pencil case and reaching for something.
"Ooh, you should paint me." Crystal joked while striking a pose on her stool.
"Wouldn't you love that." Sage countered with one of her rare smirks. Crystal we definitely opening her up, and it was kind of had a funny result at times.
"Yes. Yes I would. I could be your canvas if you prefer." Crystal wiggled her eyebrows and I had no idea how she did that. But I decided maybe now was the time to start on a lay out of my intended piece, only problem being I didn't know what I was going to do. I didn't want to make assumptions but I felt like Crystal and Sage liked each other. Like really liked one another but I'm not gonna say anything.
By the end of class I had about ten crumpled balls of paper and one simple sketch that had a lack of details. From the start I knew I was going to use spray paint. Without any, teaching of how to use it, its still the medium that I paint best in. Now finding what I wanted to actually paint was a completely different story, even the come bad drawing I had at the end of class was a no. With a sigh of frustration  I headed for my next class, advanced printmaking.

I was so happy when the day ended and all I wanted to do was flop down on my bed and pass out. I was so tired and I didn't even know why, I was getting a it more sleep at night, I mean I could always do with a couple more hours, but I was doing better now. Still, I was exhausted and dreaded having to go to work. Not that I didn't love working there I was couldn't find any motivation to move. Deciding that a shower should wake me up I hopped in and under the hot water. Sadly it did the exact opposite and I didn't want to get out, the pounding water was relaxing the muscles in my back and it felt amazing. When I realized how much time I'd spent in the shower I quickly jumped out and pulled on jeans and a simple black tee shirt with the Sleeping With Sirens logo on the front. I slipping on my bracelets with one hand and my teeth as I grabbed my bag with the other. Hopping around the room on one foot I pulled on my white converse before quickly waving goodbye to James and leaving. I nearly tripped and fell twice as I ran down the stairs and out of my building. The second time I'd been at the bottom of the last stair case when my shoe lace came undone and I stepping on. Making an "oof" sound I went crashing to the ground, except instead of hitting the hard, cold ground I landed on something a little softer and a lot warmer.
"Jeez Reed. I thought we'd gotten last this." Max's familiar voice said filled with slight annoyance but mainly a teasing tone. With a roll of my eyes I looked up to connect my eyes with his beautiful ones, my arms pinned between us.
"Well maybe you should watch where you're going." I countered with as much sass as I could muster without laughing. We really ought to stop bumping into each other, literally.
"I was in a rush." He excused with a fairly straight face. With the same look on my face I said,
"As was I."
"So you gonna stand up or do you just like this position?" He suddenly had a smirk on his face and I realized that we were still in this compromising situation that had us both on the ground and me on top of him. I quickly scrambled up, reddening with embarrassment.
"Sorry bout that." I mumbled as I brushed the dust off of myself. He was standing up a second later and asked,
"So where are you hurrying to anyways?" My eyes widened with the sudden realization that I was going to be late for work, there was no way the city bus would get me there in time with all its other stops.
"Uh, work. Actually I really should get going, I'm going to be late enough as it is." I made a move to continue my journey out of the building when Max stopping me.
"Wait do you want a ride? I'm sure my car is faster than whatever you planned on taking to get their." He suddenly asked.
"I thought you were in a rush?" I questioned with a raised eyebrow. I followed him towards the parking lot closest to our building even as I said this.
"I lied." He said cheekily over his shoulder at me before we finished walking to his jeep. We quickly climbed in and as he started the engine he asked me where to go.
"Center street. It's in a building called Molly's art. It shouldn't be hard to miss." I told him before as he pulled away from campus and in the direction of my work place. I tapped my fingers against my knee in anticipation as we stopped at a red light. Max only flicked on the radio, a loud rock song blasting through the speakers causing me to jump.
"Sorry. I guess I had it pretty loud last time I was in here." I chuckled as it was his turn to slightly red, except he got no where near as red as I did.
"It's fine." I told him as my fingers continued to drum against my leg as a familiar song began to play at a much lower volume. As Max pulled up right out front I unbuckled my seat belt and began to open the door.
"Thank you so much Max." I thanked as I reached for my bag. I really meant it, instead of being like twenty minutes late I was only late by five minutes.
"Of course. Hey wait!" He called out as I turned to shut his car door. I gave him an expectant look that told him to get on with it. "How are you getting back?" I gave him a look that asked if he was crazy, that didn't matter right now, I needed to get in there.
"Uh, I'll probably just take the bus." I replied quickly, bouncing on my feet.
"Here take this." He said, handing me a bundle of clothe. I raised an eyebrow as I unfolded it to see that it was a sweater. "It's supposed to get cold tonight and you don't have a coat."
"But I already have one of your sweaters, I don't want to take another one." I said guiltily as I kept bouncing, wanting to get in there.
"I don't care, you need it." He insisted. I wanted to argue more but I really couldn't waste anymore time.
"Urge, fine but I'll bring it to you when I get back. Alright? Alright." Without waiting for an answer I shut the door and ran towards the building in front of me. I quickly walked into the studio and all heads turned to me, all the little eyes along with Molly's were on me.
"I'm so sorry," I quickly began to apologize, "I lost track of time and then I ran into someone, literally and-" Molly cut me off saying
"It's alright dear, just out your stuff in the back room and we can continue." I gave her great fun smile and heard her begin to instruct the kids as I walked into the back room. I hung my bag along with Max's sweater on a hook before grabbing my smock, tying it around behind my waist. I reentered the room and stood at the back as Molly finished explaining something. I hadn't heard everything she said but from what I got we were starting a simple painting project that Molly had drawn an example of on the call bored at the front. It was the planets aligned in their proper positions. When Molly told the class they could start I went up to her and began to apologize again, only to once again be cut off.
"Really Ashton, it's no big deal. You've never been late before and it's not like you showed up half way through the class. Really it's alright." Her tone was so reassuring that a weight seemed to be lifted off of my shoulders. I watched as her smile fell and her eyes linger on my arms. I suddenly felt guilty, this is the first time Molly has seen my scars since I stopped hiding them, not that I was hiding them from her it's just it kind of worked out so that I was always wearing a long sleeve when I came here. I might have done it subconsciously but I'm not sure.
"I'm gonna go see if anyone need my help." I quickly pardoned myself and walked back to the kids.
"Ashy." The familiar voice of Noah called out a while later, after I had helped to other kids.
"Hey Noah." I greeted, ruffling his hair as I came to a stop in front of him, crouching down to his level.
"Can, can you help me?" He asked so sweetly, it'd be impossible for anyone to deny him.
"Of course what's up?" I asked leaning forward on my knees.
"My circles don't look right." He told me, pointing at his page with the pencil the was in his hand. I reached for a blank sheet of paper and showed him how to make them look better. After a while he got a hang of it and soon began to paint his planets their proper colors. "This is my favorite planet." He told me, pointing to the moon he had just finished painting. I widened my eyes and made a small 'o' with my mouth.
"What really? That's my favorite too." I smiled brightly at the little kid who became more excited at the information. I tapped his nose lightly, making him giggle. He reached out with his purple covered paintbrush and wiped my nose with it.
"Hey!" I cried, slitting my eyes but smiling at the boy as I failed miserably at looking mad. He only giggled more before pointing down at my arm.
"Ashy what are those?" My eyes widened as I realized he was talking about my scars and quickly thought up of some high to say.
"These are my battle scars." I told him, silently scolding myself for that lame attempt. His face lit up with amazement and said,
"Cool, I want some." My eyes, that had just returned to normal moments ago, widened again before I said quickly,
"No you don't. Promise me you won't try and get any battle scars okay." My voice was serious and I worried what could happen. A moment later he replied,
"Alright, I promise."
"Good boy." I said standing up and ruffling his hair again. He giggled, reassuring me and before I knew it the class was over. Molly and I cleaned up everything that was left out when she asked,
"Ashton, are you alright. I'm worried what are they from?" I automatically knew what she was talking about and replied with a sigh,
"I'm alright. Now. I left my home and came to attend university here because, because my father hurt me and I was bullied." I didn't make eye contact with her as I continued to clean up, washing the last few paint brushes carefully.
"Ashton." She only breathed my name, but there was so much more behind it. When I looked up Molly had moved over to me and began to encircle me in a hug. I hesitated like I did whenever anyone touched me, before I returned the gesture. I've never had a mother before so I obviously don't know what it would feel like to be embraced in a motherly way, but if I had to guess I think it would feel a little something like this. When we pulled away she cupped the side of my face, looking deep into my eyes. "You are such a strong girl." She was smiling again, but it was different than her usually happy smile.
"Thank you Molly. Really you're like the mum I never had." I told her with the faint smile I could muster.
"Aw, sweetheart." She pulled me into another hug that I welcomed.
"But I really should get going, I don't want to miss my bus back to the university." I said as I turned of the tap and out the brushes away.
"Alright dear." Molly replied as I made my way over to the back room. I let the door fall silently shut behind me and pulled on Max's sweater, leaving it unzipped, before swinging my bag over my shoulder. I relished the feeling of being in the big warm hoodie and went past my hands, keeping my usually cold fingers warm.
"Bye Molly." I called before walking out of the building completely. I caught her wave before the door shut and I was walking towards the bus stop that was just done the block. I had made it just as the city bus pulled up and I climb on, showing my past before taking a seat in the back corner. I let my feet swing up onto the seat in front of me and grabbing my phone, putting the headphones in my ears. I flicked in the music and let it block out the world, not that there was much noise going around behind me but still. Right now the only thing other than this sweater that seemed to give me a warm was the music filling my ears and mind. Perfect.

When I got back to the dorm I quickly sketched up a drawing for my advanced painting class. I finally knew what I was going to do.