Chapter 13 - Defintely not for angels

"You guys look amazing." I told my friends with excitement in my voice. Crystal had gone with the Kida costume, which I kind of thought she would because the costume suited her really well. Sage was dressed in a full body suit that had a pattern of a skeleton on it, along with finger less gloves with the same skeleton design. Her face was lightly painted perfectly as a skeleton as well and it looked so cool. Jack was a police officer, dressed in the black pants and top you often saw on a real officer, along with the hat, badge, a pair of handcuffs and unnecessary sunglasses propped up in his head. "How are you going to see?" I asked Jack in disbelief with slightly squinted eyes.

"I don't know you tell me." He responded a little to quickly.

"So basically you're not." I said causing everyone to laugh while Jack pouted.

"Hey, you guys look great too." Sage complemented.

"Ya, I'm so glad you went with that one Ashton. You might not where white, like ever, but it looks great on you." Crystal added which made me happy.

"Can we just go and party." Jack said still pouting. Rolling my eyes at him I turn to James and smile at him before we all walk through the front door. I could already see some of these things from outside but let's just say this house looked a lot different from my first party. Not just because it was a completely different house but this time the lighting was darker with tons of flashing and stroke lights along with a think layer of smoke filling the house. From the syrupy smell I could tell that they must have had a few smoke machines around the house. Not only that but there were a bunch of Halloween decorations everywhere and even though I haven't really experienced Halloween before I knew that this was definitely the way to do it and that they went all out. I'd never say it out loud but I was glad that they went all out, it makes my first proper Halloween pretty cool.

"Let's go to the kitchen!" Crystal yelled over the loud music. Grabbing James hand so I wouldn't lose him in the crowd the rest of my friends to the kitchen. I had no idea how Crystal knew where the kitchen was but I figured we had to go somewhere so whatever. I'm trying this thing called going with the flow. It doesn't always work out with me but I'm trying. Halloween was the perfect time to really work on that, well at least I think that. The kitchen was just as dimply lit as the rest of the house but might have also been one of the only open rooms to not have flashing lights. I had no idea how anyone read any labels in here. Crystal tossed me a can of sprite, somehow remembering what I had last time before asking James what he wanted. Jack made him self and a drink while Sage looked through the fridge for something to drink, probably something canned, maybe a cooler since Crystal got her to like those.

"Whatever is fine." He said with a shrug, talking not as loud since somehow the music wasn't as loud in here. Don't get me wrong he still had to talk loudly just not yell like Crystal had to before. With a nod she handing him a bottle of beer before turning to make her own drink.

"So this is a party." James sounded more like he was stating it rather than asking.

"I guess so." I told him with a small shrug. "Well, a Halloween party."

"Okay, don't get smart on me. A party is a party." He said in playful manner.

"We should dance." Crystal suggested. It was only then did I realize we never actually danced last time, well at least I didn't, and I didn't know how to dance at a party.

"I don't know how?" I told her in a weary voice. She took a step closer to me so that we could hear one another better without talking so loud before she said,

"You like music right?" Before I have to chance to answer she continues, "So you know how to let it fill you, you know how to get lost in. So do just that and move. Trust me you'll get the hang of it. Just lose yourself in it." With a firm nod I followed her out of the kitchen to the connecting room where a lot of people where dancing. People were dancing everywhere but most of them were here and that's probably why it was so packed I didn't think the five of us would fit. Jack, Crystal and Sage all started dancing right away, drinks in hand but I just kind of stood there for a bit. James grabbed my free hand and turned me towards him. With some song I've never heard before playing in the background James began to sway, moving me with him. Loosening up a bit I let my neck roll and my body move a bit more. James smiled as I began to dance and took a sip from his now open can. After awhile of the five of us dancing together Jack left to dance with some girl and James went to the bathroom. I had just finished my drink even though Crystal must have been on her fourth drink. I didn't really know how long we'd been here but guessing from how tired I was from the dancing already it at to have been close to two hours.
"I'm going outside. I need a break." I yelled over the music to Sage. "Can you let James know when he gets back. He'll freak if he doesn't know where I am."
"Of course" She yelled back with a smile. As I turn to leave I then realized how close Crystal and Sage were dancing. They weren't touching but still they seemed fairly close. Maybe it was just because of the lack of room, I thought brushing it off as I made my way through the kitchen, grabbing some can out of the fridge and walking out onto the back porch. They were a lot less people outside then last time but that was probably due to the fact that the weather was getting colder and and tonight there was a cool, brisk wind. The soft wind blew my dress away slightly but nothing I had to panic about, it felt nice, after being in that hot house for so long along with all the dancing. I mean I still barely moved and I got this tired from it. I pressed my cool fingers against my neck before opening the can in my other hand. Seeing as I didn't pay much attention to what I had grabbed, I obviously didn't realize that it was a cooler much like the one Crystal had given me back in September except this one was a lemon lime favored one. Reluctantly I brought it up to my lips, gulping down half of it. The cold liquid felt amazing on my throat and I couldn't taste the nearly un existing amount of alcohol that was in it. I stood there for a little longer when the door opened behind me. A second later there was a presence beside and I turned my head to see James, who looked a little pale.
"Are you alright?" I asked, concern lacing my tone.
"I know alcohol doesn't do the best with humans but I think it's definitely not for angels." His voice was a little tight.
"Do you wanna go back. I'll come with you." I offered already getting ready to leave when his hand reached out for mine, stopping me. As I gave him a curious look he answered my unasked question.
"I'll head back but I don't want to ruin tonight for you. I'll be fine I just want to make sure you'll be okay." With a weary look on my face I opened my mouth but shut it when nothing came out.
"I don't know, I think I should come with you. What if something happens." I felt partly guilty, I mean he came for me and if he hadn't come he wouldn't have had that drink.
"I love you for worrying but trust me. I'm an angel, feeling a little un well ain't going to do anything to me." I knew he meant 'I love you' in a family way but it still made me feel all warm on the inside. James is and has been the only person to ever say those words to me. With a begrudging sigh I gave in.
"Alright. Get some rest." That seemed like the only thing to say before hugged and he looked around. In an instant he was gone. With a small smile I made my way back inside to find my friends. Walking onto the "dance floor" I looked around for Crystal and Sage but they weren't where I left them. Damn it, I thought as I stood on my tip toes, trying to look over people's heads. I caught a glimpse of James with the same girl before I lost sigh of them. I gulped down the rest of my drink as a lowered flat into my feet again and and huffed out in annoyance. Fine, just leave me to get lost in this place. Walking out of that room through I different door and I dropped my can in a trash bag that was lying on the floor. With the sudden need I made my way towards the stair case in search of find a bathroom. Walking with my head, which I regret now, I softly bumped into someone causing an "oof" sound to come from my mouth.
"We really gotta stop doing this." I said as my eyes met with the strangely beautiful ones of Max. Wait, did I seriously just think that. Shaking my head quickly from side to side I pushed away the thought as Max replied.
"What? But it thought bumping into one another could be our okay." He places his hand over his heart with an overly disappointed tone to his voice. But the only thing I could process was that what he said meant he read the fault in our stars. With a dumbfounded look on my face I could only gap at him. "What?" He questioned, a little unsure.
"You've read the fault in our stars." I didn't know if it was a question or a state meant but I knew he had definitely read it when even in this terrible lighting I could see the tint on his cheeks and his hand went to rub the nape of his neck. Neither of us said anything before I broke the silence, well it wasn't silent, there was the music and people but you know what I mean.
"I like your costume." I would never admit it out loud but he looked... attractive to say the least. Dressed in a green fighter pilots outfit, it was left open at the top showing the white shirt he had on underneath, with sunglasses propped on top of his head. Really what was with all the sunglasses, how in Gods green earth did they expect to see anything. Okay true he didn't really have them on but still. It's it night time and it's dark, when do they expect to wear them.
He chuckled at my somewhat weak attempt, even if what I said was true, to change the subject.
"Thank you. You look amazing in yours as well." I blushed, only really used to James complementing me, but it was always different when James did it. Ignoring my warming face I thanked him.
"Well. I'll be on my way. I need a bathroom." I said making a move to step around him which was a very stupid idea considering there was an endless stream of people walking up and down the other side of the stairwell. Being pushed back, I lost my footing and nearly slipping off the stair. By nearly I mean I would have if it hadn't been for the hand that wrapped tightly around my waist, pulling me into a body. The familiar, somehow soothing, smell of Max filled my nose and I smiled sheepishly at him. "Uh, thanks." I stepped away but instead of his hand leaving my body completely it slide down and into my hand.
"C'mon. Follow me." He said already pulling me down the stairs. Curious to know where he was taking me I didn't protest. Ya, Ever since we became official friends he doesn't show much emotion often, but that was Max, and he wasn't as cold to me as he used to be or as he can be to other people. So I didn't not trust him. I just really hoped I could get to a bathroom soon. I raised an eyebrow, a questioning look making its way onto my face even though he couldn't see it, as he pulling me through a door and down a different flight of stairs. Max lead me down into a basement that was decorated much like the rest of the house, which probably half the amount of people that there were upstairs down here, which was still saying a lot. But even though you could clearly hear the music from upstairs it was a quieter down here and some people were playing games. A dreaded look appeared on my face when Max pulled me right past them and down a hallway, stopping outside a white wooden door. Before I could ask him what we were doing he said,
"There was a massive line outside of the bathroom, I thought you probably wouldn't want to wait." With a are little smile he let go of my hand and guest urged at the door.
"Thank you Max." I told him really meaning it. Sure what he did was simple but still thoughtful. He didn't have to help me, I could be standing at the end of a very long line right now. I entered the bathroom, locking it before I took care of my business. After drying my hands I fixed the braided band that went across my forehead, I left the bathroom. I was a little disappointed when I noticed Max was gone. I kinda wanted to hang out with him, I don't know if that's because I couldn't find my friends or not. Seeing how disappointed I really was I don't think it was because I couldn't find my friends, I think I genuinely wanted to talk or whatever with Max, which was weird enough.
As I'm about to take a step I heard Max's voice, instantly cheering me up that he hadn't really left, that was until I noticed that he was yelling. And I don't mean so that he could be heard over the music because it wasn't necessary down here.
"How many times do I have to tell you to leave me the fuck alone." By his tone and the langue he was using I could tell he was royally pissed. Taking the step I had planned to take I tentatively walked in the direction of Max's voice. Technically that was the only direction I could go since I was at the end of the hallway but I wanted to know what was happening. Why was Max so mad?
"Get off your high horse Maxie, I know you really want me." I shivered in disgust. And not just from the words but the fact that it was without a doubt Angela. Mentally face palming myself I thought, God kill me know. Not that any time I was around her turned out well, like ever, but the party back in September was the worst so I can only dread what will happen when I reveal myself. With the thought of just waiting till I hear them leave I take a step back. Of course with my luck the floor bored made a loud squeak, drawing both of their eyes to me. This was not going to end well.