Chapter 49 - Come back to me

***Max's POV***

It has been almost a whole week since Ashton was stabbed, three days since they took her off the come inducing drugs. Yet here I sat, next to her hospital bed where she laid motionless. Although she was still pale, even for her, she no longer look a deathly white and sort of green, I sign that her body was creating more blood. She had lost a dangerous amount that night. She still had no color to her cheeks and her breaths were still shallow. It was obvious she was slowly healing but I still had the doctor reassure me that she was getting better. It still aggravated me that she hadn't woken up yet.

I wanted nothing more then to look in her stunning, eye-capturing, bronze eyes. I wanted to see laughter in her eyes and every other emotion she felt. I wanted nothing more than to kiss her and wrap my arms around her on the roof. Nothing more then to come to her room wanting to take her out and every time revive a protect brother look from James because then we wouldn't be here. I wanted nothing more then to sit in the cafeteria with her and our friends because at least I would see her smiling again.

My back was sore from sleeping and seating for most the day in the same chair but I still refused to go home to sleep at night. I'd spend time watching Ashton, talking to her about anything and everything. Sometimes I'd read silently to myself or out loud. I didn't know why but it felt natural, it felt right. Well as natural and right anything can feel in this situation.

It was late at night now and despite that I knew the world was busy with people doing something. I knew the world was still going on outside this hospital room but it didn't feel like if. It felt like everything had stopped and maybe it had for me.

A couple days after Ashton was brought in they moved her into a single room that had more privacy. That had said, and still say, that she's stable and the only thing that made me believe that was her slow but steady heart beat that beeped on the monitor.

Leaning back in my chair and stretching my legs out until they reached under the hospital bed I placed my book down on the night side table and yawned. Outside the window it was dark and I could spot a couple street lights. You couldn't see the stars or moon because of the dark, daunting clouds in the sky that threatened a thunder storm. It had lightly rained yesterday and I knew there was bound to be a storm. But right now it was silent and I found myself filling the air with words that had been spinning in my mind for a while.

"You have no idea what you do to me." I said knowing full well that she couldn't hear, but that didn't stop me. It seemed less scary confessing things to her when she couldn't actually hear them. "Ashton I need you to wake up because I don't know what I'll do if you don't. You've quickly become everything that important to me and I no longer know how to live without you at my side."

I leaned forward and took her hand in mine being extra careful since I was on her other side, the side that had her IV nestled in her hand. I looked instantly at her face as if I were starting into her eyes and continued, "You know you had me fallen for you before you even know it. There was something about seeing you that first morning back in September. God I acted like a little boy, I didn't know how to talk to you so I teased you and annoyed you. Your reactions kept me coming back for more. I loved seeing that spark in your eye and when you didn't turn your back on me and ignore me like you should have it gave me hope. I didn't know what I was being hopeful about them but I think I do now.

"Ash come back to me, please. I know I messed up. I let you get hurt when I promised I wouldn't let anything happen to you. But I need you. Remember the first time I kissed you to get rid of Angela. Ever since that moment I just wanted to kiss you again and again. I hated seeing you with someone else. I don't care if that makes me sound jealous. You're mine, and I'll always be yours, body, heart and soul. Please come back."

--------------------------------

It's been a week since they took her off the drugs but she was still in a coma. The last few days have been raining non stop and I was surprised we hadn't gotten any lightening or thunder yet. If I didn't go back to school tomorrow they would start marking my absences but I didn't care. The day went on and I mentally crossed off another day that didn't wake. Before I left for university I would read fairy tales to Natty when mama couldn't and right now I really wish we were in one. I wish a could sleeping beauty in front of me and she'd just wake up, but I knew better. This was reality and a kiss wouldn't solve anything, not now.

Shifting in my seat I pulled my phone from my pocket and opened the music app. I turned the volume down so it was low but I could still hear clearly when I pressed shuffle. As I set it down on the small two draw table that was beside the hospital bed a familiar song played. I'd only ever owned the original until Ashton put the acoustic version of Drown by BMTH on my phone. She liked it better. So I let it softly fill the air, a clap of thunder suddenly filling my ears a second later, cracking across the sky and making the ground under my feet vibrate ever so slightly. And then there was a white flash of lightening and something happened.

In a second I was standing up and leaning over her bed, looking down at her beautiful face and whispered with disbelief yet an overwhelming sense of relief,

"You're awake."

---***The End***---