Chapter 10 - Let's make it a start over

It was quiet and calm and all I did was sit there, my head down and pressed against him as I repeatedly took deep breaths. I didn't know how long I sat there, my arm still lightly held by Max, but after a while Max spoke up,

"I think I owe you a story." His voice was still quiet and sorrowful.

"Ya, I guess you do." I replied slightly helplessly as I pulled back and brushed away tears that had yet to fall. And now they weren't going to.

"It's not very interesting." He warned before continuing, "My father was an angel. But he did something all angels are forbade to do. He fell in love with a human and got her pregnant. There is nothing wrong with an angel loving a human but acting upon it, not so accepted. When they found out he was cast out of heaven and helped my mother raise me until I was four. She was sick those first few years, I mean it must not be easy giving birth to a half angel baby. But when she got good again my father died. Other fallen angels who had turned bad, like most, tried to get him to join them, but he always refused and it costed him his life. My mum was sad at first but she would always show her love for me. As I got older she explained things to me that I didn't understand as a little kid. She knew everything about my fathers world and explained to me how I was different and why I couldn't tell anyone. I'm not an angel, ya I've got the wings but I can't fly and I have none of that fancy ass magic that angels do. The only reason I can do a bit of healing magic is because my father was a healer and his blood runs through my veins. I don't remember him much because I was so young but I remember what he looked like, I have his wings, you know same color and stuff." He clarified. I just sat there dumbfounded, I mean holy crap. I've known Max my whole life, not well until now, but still. I didn't know what to say, I couldn't say anything.

"I think we should go back inside." I suggested. What Max said was a lot to talk in, especially when I'm not completely emotional stable.

"No. Not yet I have questions." He persisted as he shifted closer to me.

"About?" I ask with that same empty tone.

"That guy, who shares a room with you. He's an angel? Your guardian angel? Is that why you weren't surprised when you saw my wings, why you scolded me instead?" I sighed in relief for a second I thought he was gonna bring up me again.

"Ya, pretty much. Two months ago, the night before school finished he caught me in an alley doing things that aren't exactly legal." I confessed earning a questioning look from Max with one eyebrow raised."I kinda had a knack for doing graffiti and have been itching to do it again since I haven't done it since that night but I know that I probably shouldn't." I made a face that said 'I should be sorry but I'm not.' Which I wasn't truthfully. Max only chuckled lightly, the first of us to smile or laugh since coming up here really.

"We wouldn't want you to get caught now would we." He playfully replied.

"Nah, course not." I said sarcastically even though I really wouldn't want to get caught. Leaning back against the couch I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath, and relaxed against the couch. It was peaceful up here. You couldn't hear much and by this time the sun just barely lighted the roof but it was enough to keep it from not being very cold. I'm sure the view up here at night is amazing as well.

"Hey Ashton?" I hummed in response telling him so go on without opening my eyes or mouth. "I'm gonna ask you that stupid question again." When he paused I didn't stop him even though I wanted to. But hey, what was the point anyway, he knew my deep dark secrets now I had nothing else to hide. Well not really. "Are you okay?" His sincere, concerned voice asked gently.

"Why do you ask?"

"C'mon Ash, there are bags under your eyes and compared to when I hugged you at the party, you are tinnier than I remember. Surely those things mean something. I remember seeing you in high school with bags under your eyes for a month and then nothing the next." I sighed for the umpteenth time but didn't reply. "Are you not sleeping? Are you not eating? You can't if be okay if you're doing those things. And it's my fault, I can bet on my life that what Angela said at the party started this all over and it's because I dragged you into it."