Chapter 7 - Forget about it

That night after we had decided to head back things had gone a little different than how I would have thought they would.

"Well we're bored so wanna head back with us?" Crystal asked. We had been here for quite some time, it must have been at least close to midnight. Shrugging, I replied,

"Sure, that's cool with me." I made a move to walk away from Max but was kept in the same spot. I wasn't the only one giving him a curious look, wondering what he was doing.

"I'll drive you back." He said loud enough for us all to hear but I knew he was talking to me.

"It's not that long of a walk, I'll manage." I persisted with not the kindest voice. In reality I just wanted to get away from Max and hide under my blankets forever. Not only had he seen me cry but all my scars as well, and he was saying things that confused me. I didn't like it.

"Reed, just shut up and let me take you back. We're in the same building anyways it's not out of the way." He insisted. I gave him a blank stare before giving in. He was being stubborn and wouldn't back down, for whatever reason I had no idea. Turning back to my friends with a sigh I told them,

"I guess I'm heading back with him but I'll text you guys later ya?" Jack looked a little unsure but they all agreed and hugged me good bye.

"Well are we going?" I asked impatiently after the trio had left. Max only rolled his eyes in return before leading me outside. His mate gray jeep sat in front of the neighbors house and Max didn't remove his arm from around me until I was in the car. The ride was silent but not awkward, which I was thankful for. But I thought it was odd too, I thought it would have been at least a little uncomfortable.

It only took us five minutes to drive back, and although I'll never say it out loud, I was kind of glad I didn't have to walk. By the time we got back I was composed again and back to my normal self. Without a second thought I jumped out of the jeep and made my way to the front entrance of the dorm building. I was barely even aware that Max was still walking behind me.

"I can take it from here Gilbert." I declared as we made it to the top of the stairs case that lead to my floor. He opened his mouth to say something but I held up my hand, stopping him. "You're help was much appreciated, really, but just forget about tonight. Forget about the things you saw."  I could see the need in his eyes to object, to ask something, but I turned and left before he could. When I got back in my dorm James tackled me with a hug asking a thousand questions, one of them being repeated every other question, "Are you okay?"

"Of course I am." I lied as I dropped the purse on my bed. I grabbed my phone to charge it before telling James I was going to have a quick shower and then we could talk some more. Once in the bathroom I turned the shower to cold and stepped under the water. I'd washed all the left over makeup off along with the lip stick that had stained my lips a bit, but I knew they'd be back to their light color by morning. I let the cold water fall down my body, careful to keep my clipped up hair out of it's wet reach. After I had dried off I pulled on pj pants and a long sleeve. Having finished everything I needed to get done in the bathroom I grabbed Crystals folded clothes and put them with in the basket of dirty clothes before plopping down on James' bed beside him. I automatically rested my head against his shoulder and looked down at the book he was reading. It was my copy of Pride and Prejudice. I was less than a quarter though it because we were only aloud to ready the assigned chapters. I know we moved at such a slow past because the point of the class was to examine it and look deeper but it still bothered me.

"Are you sure everything went alright?" He asked without moving his eyes off the page but still I knew how concerned he was.

"Yes. Nothing went wrong, it was all boring to be honest." I didn't want to tell him. I didn't need him to freak out and potentially go looking for Max to beat him up. I don't think James would be very happy that he kissed me, even if it was to get rid of his stalker who seriously pisses me off. Plus if I told him the truth it would have to be everything, including the scars Max saw and then that would mean I'd have to go through the story of my scars and I really didn't have the emotional energy to do so.