Chapter 25 - Princess, My Lady

"C'mon, let's head back in." I say, pulling away from the five minute hug reluctantly. With a weary look and his face his hand slide down into mine and said,
"Alright, ya let's head to bed."
"You know that's not what I meant." I said, not moving from my spot. "We can't avoid them forever, tomorrow is Christmas. We might as well get the awkward part over with, I don't want to ruin Christmas for everyone." He pleaded me with his eyes to just go to bed, forget about everyone else but I wouldn't have it. He knew very well not only was it the mature thing to do, but it was what we should do.
"Fine," he said with an exasperated sigh, "but we're not staying long."
"Whatever you say Maxie." I tease, finally moving as I followed him back into the huge house. Hesitatingly Max headed towards the living room that everyone was in and it fell silent, not that much chatter had been going on before. I took note that with in the ten ish minutes we'd been gone some people had left, leaving only Gabe, Jordan and Emma, Clara and Myles, Dylan and Maddie, and Alex (Mr. Gilbert). Gabe, Dylan and Maddie were all in their own little bubbles and I assume that Carly went to put the kids to bed, probably insisting on doing it all herself. Max and I retuned to our previous seats as the silence remained. It was only a minute later that Emma spoke up.
"Ashton, I really hope you can forgive us. We over stepped and it was completely rude of us. Wouldn't you agree Clara." I say what was meant to be a discreet nudge into the other women's side.
"Yes, I was out of line and didn't mean to offend you." Clara said but I could hear Max mumble beside me,
"Ya right." Choosing to ignore Max, mainly so that I wouldn't laugh I told them softly,
"It's alright, you didn't know." I nodded my head ever so slightly and somehow let every thing return to how it was before all of this started.
"You didn't have to accept." Max mumbled beside me.
"Of course I did. But it doesn't matter because I've already forgotten about it." I told him meaning it by about 97%. I still didn't like his aunt Clara very much, but I'm not going to show it.
"Alright. Do you want some hot chocolate. I've been told a make a pretty sick cup of it." He asked, his tone changing quite a bit, but it made me smile anyways.
"I would love some hot chocolate. Thank you." I said kindly before he stood up and walked in the direction of the kitchen. Using this chance I stand up and lean against Gave's chair. He hadn't noticed me so I used the chance to see what he was doing before complementing.
"Max told me you drew but I didn't know you were the good." Seemingly startled by my presence he looked up with wide, shocked eyes.
"How long have you been there?" He asked confirming my suspicious that he had no idea what was going on around him.
"Not very long. But you're amazing. I love your shading." I commented as I continued to marvel down at the drawing of a girl from behind, so far he only had her head and shoulders, only part of her back, but it was so realistic. He'd done the curls of her perfectly, maybe even better than I've ever been able to draw a girls hair.
"You think?" He wondered, "I feel like I'm missing something, it doesn't look complete to me."
"Is she someone you know?" I asked him, curious to know.
"I'm not sure. It might be someone that I've seen in the hallways at school before but I don't know." He told me thoughtfully and he continued to stare down at it in concentration.
"Do you often draw in that book?" I asked already knowing the answer. I just wanted him to confirm it before...
"Uh, ya. I have a few sketch books but this one is my favorite." He informed me.
"Can I see some more of your work?" I asked eagerly.
"Oh, uh, sure, I guess." He answered before handing it to me, giving me permission to look through it. I smile thankfully at him before flipping to the first page. Careful not to smudge the pencil or charcoal I slowly flipped from page to page, taking time to absorb each one. There were many drawings of eyes, hands, flowers and a few more girls.
"How long have you been drawing." I ask as I come to last few drawings he's done.
"A while." I turned to him a "Really?" Look before he complied, "since I was like ten I guess."
"You're really talented. Are you planing on doing anything with your art skills when you graduate high school?" I asked curious to know because seriously, this kid was better than me.
"I wasn't really sure. I mean if I did I'm not sure I'd really do." He answered a little disappointed that he couldn't figure anything out.
"You've got a real knack for realism. And if you wanted to I'm sure you could just simply be an artist. I mean I would by your work. Do you paint?"
"Uh ya. I like drawing the most but painting is second best." He told me happy to talk about his art, but still a little unsure.
"I'm sure if you're paintings are anything like your drawings you could sell either. Make a name for yourself first chance you get." I encouraged him, having complete faith that he could become well known, especially if he takes his knowledge to the next level in university.
"You really think I could do that?" He asked, becoming nervous about his abilities.
"I'm positive. Honestly, if it's what you love to do I think you should pursue it in the future." I meant every single word and a second later his sketch book was forgotten in his seat and he stood up and embraced me in a great full hug.
"Thank you Ashton. Not many people think I can do something with art." He told me as I hugged him back, my arms wrapped around his shoulders.
"Gabe are you trying to steal my girl." Max's voice suddenly came, pulling Gabe and I apart. I stared up at Max in disbelief but had to try very hard so that I didn't laugh at the same time.
"What do you mean you're girl. I thought you two were friends." Gabe said, his fairly arrogant aura returning. When he would talk about art he seemed younger almost, like a little kid with a toy, but now I could see their similarities. You know Max didn't exactly have a low self esteem all the time, and Gabe definitely wasn't afraid to say that he was the best.
"We are friends. That doesn't change anything about what I said." Max said pulling me in front of him, placing his head in top of mine, because I was just that short. Thanks Max. With his arms wrapped around my shoulders I rolled my eyes at the two boys, well mainly Max.
"Max, did you get me some hot chocolate or not?" I asked not unkindly as I didn't even bother to move. It'd be pointless since he was stronger than me.
"Oh ya, its on the table." He says letting me go, as he realized that was why he was here. I rolled my eyes again and sat on the arm of Gabe's chair, now with a mug of amazing smelling hot chocolate.
"Did you know Gabe is an amazing artist." I directed at Max, curious to know of he knew and never bothered to tell me.
"No. He doesn't let me see any of his work. I assume he's good since that's all he does." Gabe rolled his eyes at Max's comment and I giggle ever so quietly at the brothers. Gabe plopped back down into his seat and said lazily at Max, with a wave of his hand,
"Why don't you go make me some hot chocolate dear old brother." My smile widened as Max knocked Gabe's hand out of the air.
"You can get off your lazy ass and do it yourself. Gabe I'm not your slave, how many times do I have to say that to get it through your thick skull." Max said crossing his arms in a stern manner.
"Ashton, Max is being mean." Gabe complained to me, causing another small laugh to escape from my mouth.
"Oh no. What will we ever do." I replied, unable to keep the sarcastic tone out of my voice.
"I don't know he's your friend, you figure it out." Gabe replied.
"But he's your brother." I stated as if Gabe had forgotten it.
"Half brother. Which means you hold more power than I do." He countered, pointing his finger at me.
"How does that give me more power?" I asked, unable to understand his mind.
"Well clearly," Gabe began before a pillow hit him dead center in the face. He turned his eyes to glare at Max who was looking smug.
"Hey Gabe do me a favor. Shut up." Max told his brother.
"Whatever." Gabe rolled his eyes before picking up his book and pencil. "I need some sleep anyways." Once Gabe was gone I pouted at Max,
"Wow, thanks Max. I was actually having a really nice conversation and you made him go away."
"Well than you can have a really nice conversation with me." Max said grabbing my hand and pulling me down on the couch we were seated on before.
"What makes you think I want to talk with you." I said, pretending like the idea of talking with Max was bothersome.
"Because I made you hot chocolate." He tried. Rolling my eyes I sat down without a protest and sipped at my hot chocolate as he explained to me how tomorrow would play out, at my request of course.
"Well, we'll most likely be woken up by Natalie who will drag us down stairs before anyone else is awake. We'll get something to drink and watch Natalie do whatever it is she will be doing in this room while we wait for everybody else to wake up."
"Wait, why will we be the only ones awake at first?" I inquired cutting him off.
"Well Natty always does this with me so this year I guess you'll be going me. Than when every one has come down we'll open gifts have breakfast, hang around the house all day and than have a big even more special Christmas dinner. Ending the night probably much like this one, minus the drama." He finished explaining as I finished my drink.
"Sounds like fun." I told him with a small smile before leaning forward to place my mug on the coffee table. "If we're going to be up early I think we should get some sleep. I'm not usually a morning person." I said while standing and looking down at him.