Chapter 15 - Like hell

Saturday morning James was feeling a lot better which I was happy about. On the down side I woke up with a killer cold making me swear to myself that next time I was in a dress on a cold night I would accept the ride back from Max. I was sniffling and I think that I was losing my voice from all the coughing. James bought me some chicken noddle soup from the White Rabbit which was heavenly and made me feel a little bit better. But I was so sick that I had to miss work, after letting Molly know I wasn't coming of course, and I barely left bed. Now it was Monday morning and James wouldn't let me leave my bed. I might have been incredibly sick still but I have never let a petty cold keep me from missing a day of school before and I wasn't about to let that happen now. Sadly, James was ready to let that happen even against my weak protest. The only reason I gave in was because I was already falling back asleep.

When I woke up a few hours later it was lunch time and I was really hungry, especially since I didn't eat last night.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" James asked getting off of his bed to sit in the edge of mine, beside me.

"Meh," I told him honestly before adding in my hoarse voice, "And hungry." With a quiet chuckle he asked,

"Any requests?"'

"How about that Chinese take out." I suggested rolling over to reach for a tissue.

"But that's on the other side of town, are you sure you don't want anything sooner?" He asked knowing that it'd take him a full hour to get there and back, but I didn't care how long it would take. Their food was to die for.

"Please. I can wait." I told him wiping my nose ad sniffling.

"If you're sure you'll be fine on your own..." He began before trailing off when there was a knock at the door. Simultaneously, both of our heads turned to the door before James stood up and opened it.

"Hey, is Ashton here?" Max's voice asked, clearly unable to see me from where he stood. He must not have been that close to the door if he couldn't see me, that or I just looked like a ball of blankets and not a person under blankets. Probably a little bit of both.

"Ya, why?" James asked in a bored tone. For some reason he didn't like Max very much. Okay so maybe not for "some reason" it's probably because James is being like an over protective brother and doesn't trust Max after years of him not being the nicest to me. Which I understand but if I can move on he should let it go.

"She wasn't in first period so I was wondering if she was alright." Max told him seemingly unfazed by James' tone. I looked up to see James open his mouth to speak before I stopped him.

"Just let him in." I told James exasperatedly with my scratchy voice. Taking a step back away from the door, Max entered our room a second later. "Hey," I said weakly as I turned onto my back.

"Hey, wha-" before Max could finish his sentence my stomach growled, signalling the need for food. I felt my cheeks heat up slightly, bringing color to my pale face. Okay so I was always fairly pale but it was worse when I was sick.

"James, you think you could go get me some food now." I said in a quieter voice with a bit of an expecting look.

"Oh ya, right. You'll be okay while I'm gone?" He said eyeing Max as he suddenly straightened up.

"Oh my god James. Just get me some damn food. I've managed for eighteen years I think I can mange for an hour by myself." Really this was getting crazy. I get that he didn't want to leave me while I'm sick but c'mon, I need food and I'm clearly in no shape to get it myself.

"Alright. Don't die." He said in a joking manner before ducking out of the room and shutting the door. Rolling my eyes the air caught in my throat and I starting having the hundredth coughing fit in the past three days. I sat up ever so slightly and turned, leaning my head against the pillow as I coughed. I large warm hand was placed on my back and began to move in slow circles. Although it did nothing to help my coughing it helped calm me down. When I finished I flopped down in my side, pulling the blankets back up to my chin as I looked up at Max who was now sitting on the edge of my bed, like James had been minutes ago.