Chapter 8 - So did he...?

Thursday morning and I'm headed off to my last period, History of art. I made sure to stop by my dorm and grab the couple of books on John Constable I had checked out of the library a couple days ago. When I had first gone into the library my first thought had been "Wow." It was massive, two floors and it's own building. Shelves upon shelves filled with book on anything and everything, books related to school and books not so much related to school. Unless it's something you're reading in Lit I guess. I wanted to spend forever in there, tucked away in a hidden back corner with a pile of books along with my phone and headphones. But sadly I had gone there on a mission and took out three books on Constable. Blase and I got most of our research done the last class but we decided last class that we'd use this class to get more detail and organize our notes more. Not that they aren't already crazy organized, I mean I am working with Blase. Like every other day so far this week I stopped by the cafetiere at the break buying a water and some kind of fruit, today was a small container of raspberries, my favorite. Shifting the strap on my shoulder I walked into the massive class taking my seat beside Blase.

"Hey." I greeted as I sat, placing my bag on the floor beside me.

"Oh Ashton, is there a whole in your shoes?" He asked already grinning like a fool.

"Um no?" I respond wearily as I leaned over my bag to grab the books out of it.

"Then how did you get your foot in it?" It was such a bad joke that I couldn't not laugh. My hand went up to cover my mouth as my shoulders shook and I tried not to laugh to loudly. Blase could be the most serious kind kid ever but then he random pulls out these stupidly funny jokes.

"C'mon Blase is not that funny." I voice that belonged to Max said as I could hear him flop down in the seat next to me, which was odd because him and Jack normally sat right behind us. He slung his arm over the back of my chair as I replied back a little colder than my tone with Blase had been,

"You don't even know what he said how can you say it's not funny."

"There's a 97% chance he's told it to me before and if not none of his other jokes are funny so why would this one be?" He replied as he looked down at his finger nails.

"That's so rude. You do realize he's seating right here." I told him, annoyed. I don't know what it was but he suddenly turned to face me with a guilty look but he's eyes held more than one emotion. I saw what looked like anger, carelessness, sadness, irritation and that guilt along with a couple other things. Max opened his mouth, wither it was to say something to Blase or to me when Blase spoke up.

"Nah it's cool, he's just jealous." I didn't know why Max would be jealous of these truthfully bad jokes but by the smirk on his face I felt like he was talking about something else. Before anyone could say anything Jack walked in greeting us all right before Professor McKinley began to tell us to be quiet. He reminded us of the time left before telling us to get started. Some students got up and moved around other got up to speak with Professor while the rest stayed seated and got to work. Max moved back to sit next to Jack and then we all began to work.

By the end of class I didn't think that there was any more information about Constable that we didn't already have written down. As the bell rang Blase reminded us all again about meeting on Monday to work on it even though we would see each other that morning. Parting ways with the two friends I walked with Jack towards the cafeteria, meeting Crystal and Sage who already sat at "our" table. They had a small bag of crisps in front of them that they seemed to be sharing. Sitting down across from them Jack leaned forward grabbing there bag of crisps and taking one out before shoving it in is mouth then adding another one.

"Hey!" Crystal protested trying to reach for them. With a mouth full Jack turned the bag in my direction and asked if I wanted any. Shaking my head I laughed in amusement when Crystal finally got the bag out of his grasp and hit him in the face with it. Sitting back down with a satisfied look she offered more the Sage who giggled quietly. I sat and chat with them before I had to leave for work, making sure I had enough time to stop by my dorm of course. Getting to the room I let my canvas bag hang from my desk chair and grabbed my blue gray colored satchel. Saying by the James he reminds me that he'll be there when I'm finished and we can stop at the diner for some food. That's what we've been doing ever since I started work. When I got to the studio the art classes take place at I was warmly welcomed by Molly with a hug. Molly was amazingly kind and and a mother like aura. Sometimes it make me sad, thinking that I never got to have that, have a mother and feel her soothing embrace. But Molly treats pretty much anyone that comes in here like her own kid, even me, and I can't say I mind. Leaving my bag in the small back room I came back out pulling my sleeves down, I noticed that the kids began to arrive. A massive smile crossed my face at the sight of the adorable little kids and only got bigger when a little boy, Noah, came bounding into the room and towards me. Noah was five years old and the cutest thing I have ever seen, he was definitely going to be a heart breaker when he grew up. Although I really liked all the kids I couldn't help but admit that he was my favorite. Noah came right over to me as I crouched down to give him a hug. I could hear his little giggle beside my ear before I let him go and class began. Today Molly talked about the primary colors and what colors they made when mixed together. After she had finished talking the kids began to work on a drawing of under the sea, next class Molly promised that they would paint them. I went around helping the kids and giving them suggestions when needed. Noah would call me over every now and then even when he didn't need me, to which I would playfully scold him before cracking a smile. When class ended and all the kids had left I helped molly clean up the room.