Chapter 48 - Up to her

I little while later I had ended up pulling the chair over by her bedside, keeping her hand clasped inside of mine. I needed to touch her, because if I didn't it would just seem like she was more dead. I couldn't stand that. When I soft know was planted on the door I turned expecting Gabe and James, only to find my mother with someone behind her.

"Hey honey," She said coming, the man in an uniform following in behind her, he was obviously with the police department. When the ambulance had sown up so did two cop cars and although I barely noticed I know they picked up the man who stabbed Ashton.

"Hey mum, what's going on?" I ask, my voice coming out very tired, a lot more tired then I expected it to. The tall man stepped forward answering for her,

"I'm officer Fulton and I'd like to ask you a few questions." After agreeing I stepped out of the room with him, mum taking my previous seat to look after Ashton even though she was far from conscious. I kept my poster up right while speaking to officer in the hall just outside the ICU.

"First off I'd like to know what happened. Can you tell me what you remember about this evening, perhaps starting with why you two where there." He said. If I had to pick whether he was the bad cop or good cop like they have in movies I'd definitely go with good but he still seemed a little hard, someone who made sure they're job was done right. I obviously couldn't tell him we were painting up some graffiti so I kind of bent the truth.

"My girlfriend- I mean Miss Reed, didn't have an easy life before leaving for university and I knew that she used to do some painting in alleyways before leaving so I'd asked her show me some of it," That wasn't a lie was it? "I'd gone back to my motorcycle to get my phone knowing my mum would call. I only left when she reassured me she would be alright. But when I got my phone mum did call and I was gone longer then we both thought I would be. When I got back I saw her sliding to the ground, he-he stood over her with a knife. I punched him but he must have been pretty intoxicated because it knocked him out. I called 911 right away." I explained hating that I had to relive that in my mind. I tried to only tell him the important details.

"Did you recognize the man?" He asked, looking like he knew something.

"No. I don't know who he is." I replied honestly. To me he was just some drunk scum bag who didn't know what he was doing who deserved to rot in hell. It might sound harsh but it was the cold truth.

"We found a wallet on him, his ID identified him as Christopher Reed." Officer Fulton paused letting that sink in.

I felt like punching a wall again. I felt like punching myself.

It all made sense. The way she froze up when she saw where we were. I should have never suggested we go back there. I should have been more careful about where we went. It was my fault we ended up there and I was the one who left her unprotected. I told her, I promised her, that I would never let anyone ever hurt her again and that included her father. I couldn't keep that promise no matter how hard I tried. I'm the reason her fucking father tried to kill her, I'm the reason he almost succeed in killing her.

I figured punching anything wouldn't be a good idea with an officer standing in front of me but damn did I want to.

"Mr. Gilbert," I hated it when he called me that, it made me think of my father. I wasn't my father. "Do you know what the relationship between Mr. Reed and his daughter was? Anything that would be worth taking note of?" He had that look and tone again, like he knew something. I had said she didn't have an easy life and her father did stab her, drunk or not. I mean as far as Ashton told me he was always drunk, if not passed out, so that wouldn't make a difference. Who he was drunk is who he always is.