Chapter 44- Don't be an ass

That night after I was sure Max was okay and has calmed down he took me inside but we didn't go to finish dinner, we went up to his room to sleep. The next day Max refused to see anyone but me which was flattering but childish at the same time. Still saying it was his mission to ensure that I had fun though he dragged me out of the house, not very much resistance coming from my part, and we spent the whole day outside of his house until well after the sun had set. He sneaked us back into his house and after watching some Netflix we passed out on his bed. I felt guilty for not seeing James all day but there wasn't much I could do. Max insisted that he couldn't see his dad yet without bursting into another argument. But as the next morning came and we slept past breakfast I began to lecture Max like you would to a child who was eating cookies before dinner.

"Max you can't hide forever." I told him standing next to his bed, hands on my hips, while he hid under his blankets even after getting up and showering.

"I don't have to hide forever. Just till we have to leave." He argued, his words slightly muffled from the pillow.

"Gilbert you get out of bed right now. Your family barely get to see you as it is. You're just being plain childish now. You can't hide from your father any longer, I won't let you. And I definitely won't let you lock yourself in your room without seeing Natty or Gabe or your mother at all while we're here." Max groaned into his mattress but made no signs of getting up. "Max get off your lazy ass right now or I'll walk out and stay in my room for the rest of spring break."

I didn't know if that would motivate him, I was going on a whim, but Max had seemed pretty keen on keep me locked up with him. Plus every night we've spent here, which has only actually been three, we've been in his bed or mine.

I let out a breath of relief when he rolled out of bed and came over to me. I wrapped his arms loosely around my hips and buried his head into the crook of my neck and into my hair. I wanted to break out into a face splitting grin because he was being so cute and like always his touch made me feel like I was on air. But I didn't, I had to be stern or he'd try to trick me into staying hidden all day again.

"You know we still have to tell them." I said as I let him hug me. "I don't think just telling Natty counts." I added attempting to lighten the mood. He suddenly pulled away with a devilish smirk on his face that shocked me beyond belief. What happened to the grown man pouting who was here a second ago? I raised a brow in question, only expressing my confusion all the more.

"Oh I would love to tell them. Especially my father." I rolled my eyes at him knowing that now he was just looking for a fight.

"I hope your not just using me to defy your father." I told him with a joking time but something inside of me feared that maybe that was the case. Max lifted a hand to brush his knuckles lightly against my cheek in a way that sent shivers down my body.

"Never." That one world seemed to fix everything again even though I'd come across as joking. Sadly deciding to break the mood I pulled away and slugged him in the arm before pointing at the door sternly.

"Get out there right now. I swear if your procrastinating going out there I'll do I lot more then punch your arm." What I said only seemed to amuse him as he smiled wildly, grabbing my hand and pulling me downstairs for some food.

Before we could get past the foyer we spotted his mother, coming across from the opposite directions. She instantly spotted us greeting us with a happy smile. She was probably glad to learn that Max wasn't going to spend his spring break in his room. It only made me happier about convincing him to come down.

"It's so good to see you two up and about. How are you?" She asked a hint of genuine concern slipping on to her face.

"We're good mum." He said before I added,