Chapter 4 - Just shut up and Hug me

"Hey Sage." I greeted taking a seat next to her. It was first period and I had Old English literature, one of the classes I didn't have yesterday. I didn't actually know Sage would be in this class with me until I had walked in coffee and muffin in hand, bag hanging from my shoulder, and saw her sitting in the third row.

"Good Morning Ashton." She smiled brightly. I know Jack and Crystal said she was fairly shy, but she seemed to have no problem talking with me, which made me happy. Class soon started after that and the teacher introduced herself as Professor Taylor. We went over what to expect from this class like in every other course before she began to hand out of copies Pride and Prejudice. We were to read chapters one to five by tomorrow, which will be no problem of course. After that she started going over the summary. We were talking about the objective of the summary and then started debating why with old books the description was printed on the back but now days it is on the inside. It didn't talk long for the opinion to start flying every where.  

"Yes Mr Gilbert." Professor Taylor said causing me to turn around so quickly I nearly gave myself whiplash. Sitting right there, two rows behind me sat Mr Gilbert, who sat with a smirk on his face, probably having noticed my reaction since I wasn't so subtle, and opened his mouth to talk.

"Well for one I think it's completely pointless. Having them on the inside I mean. It's a waste of time and energy to have to open a book to learn about it when it could be as simple as turning the book over. Besides what else would they put on the back, a pretty picture? That's not going to say much about the story." Although I agreed with him I had this need to argue with him, to defy him in a way. My hand instantly shot up in the air.

"Yes Miss Reed."

"I believe that an image could tell a lot about about. Yes it is true that a summary is still necessary I see nothing wrong with an image on the back of the book, giving it character. The saying 'A picture is worth a thousand words' tells exactly that. If some people weren't so lazy, there is nothing wrong with what they are doing now." I told in a strong voice. Truth be told I was one of those lazy people but I would never admit that, it would totally ruin what I just said.

"The both of you make very good points." Professor told us with a pleased look on her face, I'm not sure why though. The bell rang signalling the dismissal of class. "Chapters one to five." We were reminded before I rushed out. I felt kind of bad that I left Sage back there but I did not want to risk having to talk to that intolerable being. Those terrible years I suffered, my life before James came, always came rushing back to me whenever I was faced with Max. I pushed it down as much as I could but that didn't mean I wanted to see him anymore that I had to. Throwing out my half full cup of coffee I sighed in disappointment. They didn't have the best coffee here but I'd do anything for a cup of coffee. 

Next was advanced printmaking which I was excited for. I haven't done much of it before, but everything I have done has turned out so well and I love the look of it. Professor Kate told us about the four types of printmaking and that we'd be focusing on one a year. This year we'd be doing etching which I was happy about since that was the kind I had practiced before. We didn't talk much before we were told to sketch up a draft of what we wanted to do. The only limitation she gave us was the theme; Seasons. Excitedly I pulled out a page and began to draw an autumn scene, since autumn was my favorite, as I chatted with Crystal who also had this class. Being the way I am with my art I only got half done, it took me forever just to get that much right. Crystal was having the same problem so I think it's just an artist thing.

I had more time before my next class so I could seat down and take time eating with Jack, Crystal and Sage. Jack spent a good amount of time complaining about class but when he wasn't we all talked about whatever came to mind.