Chapter 35 -I intend to kitten

"Are you sure about this?" James asked lounging on his bed as I pulled on black ankle boots over my super skinny black jeans. When I bought them I thought they'd be a lot tighter but actually fit like a glove.

"Do you t hink I would have said yes if I weren't?" I asked back not unkindly. I knew James was just looking out for me. They might be cousins but James knew Max and I weren't always friends.

"I know, I trust your judgement, and Max isn't that bad of a guy-"

"Even though you hated him at first?" I cut him off. Huffing and rolling his eyes as if admitting it he continued.

"I didn't hate him, angels don't hate, just really didn't like is more like it. But I've gotten to know him a little better and I obviously still don't dislike him anymore. But if he hurts you in any manner," James begins to threaten, ranting off all the divine punishments he could bring down on that boy even though we both knew he wouldn't really do that. If it came to it, James would probably just punch him or something but I didn't think it would be necessary. At least I hoped not.

"Whatever you say James." I say before disappearing into the bathroom to quickly clean up the things I'd left out. Max had texted me telling me to dress fairly casual but still nice so after showering and curling my hair I pulled on black skinny jeans, a loose cream colored tank that had lace sewn in the back, pulling a light colored denim button up over top, leaving it open. I had rolled the sleeves up to just below my elbows and pulled on the bracelets Max had given me for Christmas like every other morning. My eyes grazed over the scars from that night my father threw my mother's photo at my head. Although James had healed me it still scared and they were some of my worst scars with one of the worst memories attached to them. I tried not to look at them much through out the days because the two jagged scars on my arm because they made me think too much.

Slipping my phone into my back pocket I came out, turning off the bathroom light when there was a knock on the door. James and I stared at one another on a challenging way before we both darted towards the door. He obviously made it to the door before me since he had been closer so I waited behind him while he lectured Max. I didn't listen to most of it knowing what he was saying only tuning in when I knew he was getting close to finishing.

"If you cause Ashton to be unhappy in anyway whatsoever I will have no choice but to hunt you down. That's my little girl you're taking out and if you don't treat her right we'll have a problem."

"Alright mama James," I said jokingly, "Ease off their, I think he gets it. And you're not any older than me so who are you calling little?"

"I'm an angel, immortality beats all." He said smirking before moving towards his bed, letting me see Max who was dressed handsomely. It was anything super fancy, thank god other wise I'd feel under dressed, but as always Max looked amazing. He wore dark fitting jeans and a dark blue casual button up paired with black converse and his hooded leather jacket. He smiled upon seeing me to which I returned. I stuck my tongue out him before saying goodbye and leaving with Max.

"You look great." He told me brushing his lips against my cheek before taking my hand and lacing our fingers together.

"As do you Gilbert." I said letting him lead me down to his jeep. "So where are you taking?" I asked as he pulled away from the university.

"It's a secret." He said with a twinkle in his eyes, not taking his eyes off the road. Groaning, I didn't bother asking again knowing this was Max and he wouldn't tell me if he didn't want to. Fifteen minutes later he pulled outside a large, one level, building that had a large sign that read Roy's Roller Rink. I stopped in my tracks, looking at the building nervously. Max instantly noticed and came and stood in front of me taking both of my hands in his, lightly rubbing circles into the back of my hands with his thumbs.