Chapter 40 -As cheesy as it sounded

***Max's POV***

I've never been good at making friends, that's why being on a team was easy. You automatically had friends even if some of them got on your nerves sometimes, okay usually in my case. But when I moved here I knew I was doomed. Sure I loved sports but it wasn't the most important thing in my life, it's not what I wanted to pursue like most of the guys who on my hold team so that option was out of the way. I knew I could blame part of it on my stepfather but in the end it was just the way I was, the way I was forced to be sometimes. It wasn't so forced anymore and that's where making friends became the hard part.

I was glad I ended up with Blase as a roommate, he was a cool dude and was easy to get along with. It made things a little easier but beyond that I'd have no other friends, until Reed waltzed into my life. I'd seen her again, before she walked into me with two girls and a guy. I instantly knew she had made friends and from that moment, even though I didn't know it at the time, I was happy for it. I of all people knew the best the lack of social life she before coming here, and it wasn't her fault.

So when we began hanging out more and I knew I was falling for her, I didn't want to take her away from her friends, spending ever minute with her like I wanted. Even I was man enough to realize when I like someone and be able to admit it, I just felt like it was sinning though. I knew I wasn't good enough for her but my cocky mind didn't care. So I had no choice but to befriend her friends and in the process I ended up making real friends. I wasn't just friends with them because they were her friends. They were all lively people, the had opinions and things to say and were a lot more interesting than my old teams mates. I suppose it was inevitable that all of us ended up as friends, Jack, Crystal, Sage, Blase, Ash, me, and even James, but I was glad that it was inevitable. Not that I'd ever say it out loud.

I knew it would just be her and I during spring break, well James would be there for a few days too but for some reason it didn't count to me, but I still wanted to spend every day with her. When she told me she was going out with Crystal and Sage for the day, Jack, Blase and I had made plans to spend the day together, invited James along as well. He said he had some stuff to do but might come by later. I knew what he was talking about, mum always talked about angels and heaven. She nearly came to a stop when she married Alex, but I could tell, even now she would get that light in her eyes if she could just talk about it again. So I knew that although angels had a large amount of freedom heaven couldn't just let them do whatever the hell they please. They had to relay what was happening, even if it was the same thing everyday. Obviously they didn't spend hours logging in how they spent they're day but heaven needed to keep an eye on them.

Although part of being an angel seemed really cool, I was glad I was only a part divine, because although it seemed alright, some of it sucked. Imagine spending everyday walking the earth, never being seen. I'd go insane.

"Yo. Max. Maxie. Max. Dude?" Someone said drawing me out of my deep thoughts, waving their hand in front of my face. As my eyes focused I noticed it was Blase. Jack looking at me equally expectant look Blase had on his face.

We'd already been hanging out for a couple hours, not doing much. We'd ordered in pizza for lunch and played video games on the small ish TV Blase had set up above his desk. I never would have put a TV in my dorm, never would have thought it, I didn't feel like I needed it, but part of me was glad he had. Playing video games was an easy distraction and a good way to get my mind off of things when needed.

"Huh, oh sorry." I say sitting up straighter on my bed. "What were you saying?"

Blase and Jack shared a knowing look, as if they knew something that I didn't before Jack spoke, "You are whipped man." I stared at them quizzically before I realized what he was talking about.