Chapter 45 -Gentlemen first

"What Max. I can't." I knew how to swim, I had to know. Grades ten through twelve we spent November and December swimming in PE. It was a requirement and although it sucked in grade ten when I more or less had no clue what I was doing, I quickly picked it up and was a pretty good swimmer now. But that wasn't the problem.

"Why not? Shouldn't you know how to swim from high school. I mean sure we didn't have PE together so for all I know you skipped, I mean you probably didn't do much swimming before then and-" He suddenly cut off realizing he started to rant mindlessly. Max seemed very eager for us to go swimming.

"Dude, I don't have a swim suit with me. I don't even own one."

"Oh." He seemed to finally understand. He could be such a dork. "Well we could go shopping before we hit the pool."

"I mean, I guess but what about James? Isn't it rude of us to leave him alone again?" I didn't care if James didn't want to come, I just thought we should ask. I mean I know he's been spending lots of time with Carly taking and I guess asking her question, probably about what it was like for her to love an angel and stuff like that but still.

"We could ask him to join us." Max suggested easily with a shrug. Just when I was about to reply James came out of his room and down the hall, not really noticing us until he was within arms reach of us.

"Oh, hey guys." He greeted with a smile.

"Speak of the devil." Max commented before I lightly shoved him, he was fully aware of his choice of words.

"Hey James we were just gonna come look for you. Did you want to come to the pool with us?" I asked him nicely. Before he could reply there was suddenly a cry of pain that sounded annoyed at the same time. We all gave each other a strange look before Gabe came stumbling out of his room, which was beside James' guest room, a hand over one of his watery eyes. In the blink of an eye Max had switched on worried big brother mode and took a step towards him.

"Gabe what happened? Are you alright?" Max asked him as the three of us gave him concerned looks. Gabe just looked irritated.

"I'm fine. I just had charcoal all over my hand and forgot when I went to rub my eye. Damn that stuff stings." Max automatically broke into a grin, patting his brother on the back.

"It's alright bud, I'm sure you'll live." Gabe rolled his eyes at him brother before asking us, still rubbing his eye.

"What are guys even doing hanging out in the hall?"

"We've just decided that we're gonna head to the pool. Hey, do you wanna join us?" I asked the idea randomly entering my mind. Gabe hesitated before complying,

"Uh sure. I should probably get out of the house anyways." I smiled happily. You know the saying 'the more the merrier'.

"Alright go get your stuff ready." Max told him before heading off in the direction of his room to probably do the same thing.

"Wait James, do you even-" He stopped me short knowing what I was asking before I could even get it out.

"Yup." He looked both ways before disappearing, suddenly standing in front of me a second later, only this time with a bag in his hand. I didn't even bother asking him how he could be more prepared than me. Before I knew it we were in their family car (we obviously couldn't take Max's motorbike) and pulling up outside a bathing suit store.

"Wait, why are we here?" Gabe asked as Max shoved him out of the car before following him out, me than James following him out.

"Because Ashton needs a swimsuit." With that answer from Max we walked into the store instantly being greeted by the lady at the desk. I'd never even heard of this store and when I looked at a price tag my eyes bulged out.