Chapter 31 - You chose to stand next to her

It was finally the end of the week and I was walking into my last class of the day. I couldn't wait for this class to be done so I could just take a break and breath. I'd had so much homework through out the week that I really just need some time to relax. Like the past two weeks I went and sat in the back of the English lit lecture hall, swinging my canvas bag over my head and down on the ground by the chair. It was odd, sure sometimes I'd sit with Max during the class, probably half the time, but never for two weeks straight like I have been. I didn't mind though of course, I just wondered what happened since that day we spent hanging out before class in these exact seats that made us continue to keep sitting here. Just as I finished pulling out my notebook and pushing a freshly sharpened pencil behind my ear out of habit Max came strolling in and plopped down in the seat the was between me and the wall.

"Good afternoon buttercup." He greeting with a lazy smile, using another dumb nickname like he did most of the time. In all honesty it was really annoying at first, partly because there was a teasing tone beneath it, but the nicknames quickly lost it's mocking tone and over time they kind of grew on me. Of course he still find opportunities to call me by my last name. Now that I think about it he barely uses my actual name.

"Hey." I returned with my own smile, being cut off my the teacher before I could say anything else. I took down every note there was to take and my hand was sore by the end of the class. I had a bad habit of gripping my pencil too tight. With only slight irritation towards myself for still doing that after so many years I packed up my things simultaneously with Max when he asked curiously, something else hinting in his voice,

"So, you handed in you advanced painting project yet?" I instantly knew what he was getting at, I just didn't understand why he was so eager to get it.

"Yup, late last night." I answered causally, wanting him to ask me what he really wants to ask instead of just telling him what he really wants to hear. I think he knew what I was doing because when I looked back at him he wore an unimpressed look that made me want to laugh in amusement.

"So you're done with your draft." He stated, clearly having decided to humor me. I grinned like an idiot and I'm not completely sure why. Maybe really I was just happy that someone wanted my work, that they actually thought it was worth having.

"Yes, Max you can have it. I obviously don't have it on me so we can go get it if you want or if that doesn't work I can give it to you later." I suggest with a simple shrug as I stood, my bag's strap landing perfectly on my shoulder.

"I told my friend Noah, you met him once," I nodded my head in confirmation as he continued, "That I'd lend him my notes from one of our classes so I have to go get those to him but that shouldn't take too long. If he is where he says he'll be." he added in a mumble to himself like this was something that Noah did often. Wander around and end up somewhere completely different from where he was supposed to be.

"Ya that's fine. I'll go get it then I'll be in the cafeteria with Jack, Sage and Crystal so just come and find me when you're done."

"Alright, see ya then." I nodded in agreement before heading out. Like I said I would, I quickly stopped by my dorm and grabbed the tube containing the draft of my outer space scene before making my way to the cafeteria. My friends were already seated at the table we usually sat at, all of them sitting on the opposite side from where I came in from. I greeted them with a smile as I sat in front of Crystal you sat between the other two, receiving hellos from them. They continued on with their previous conversation but I didn't mind as I listened, trying to figure out what the topic was. I couldn't have been more shocked when Jack began to complain about his one teacher who "hates" him and Crystal adding every now and then something like "well that's your own fault" and "that doesn't mean he hates you it means you need to shut up while you're in class". It was kinda funny because it sounded like a mother scolding her child. I looked over to see Sage reading some book like nothing was going on around her. I hadn't realized that Jack was finally coming to an end of his complaining until Crystal stood up and announced,