Chapter 27 - Did you want it back

Dinner along with the rest of Christmas actually went pretty smoothly, except for Gabe's slip up during the Christmas dinner.

"Holy shit! Ashton!" Gabe suddenly cried, moments after I had taken my seat beside him and reached for my glass of water. The table instantly grew quiet and everyone was looking at the two of us, some eyes widening, most likely if they saw my arms. I turned my head very slowly, looking over my arm at Gabe with a cold glare.
"Gabriel that is no langue to be used at the table." Carly scolded him and it suddenly became hard to hold my glare as I wanted to laugh when Carly used his full name. His eyes grew with fear and guilt before he began to say,
"I'm sorry mum. I was just uh shocked and it came out. It won't happen again."
"You better make sure it doesn't happen again mister." She warned him before telling everyone to go back to their meals.
"Was that really necessary?" I demanded as a few eyes reluctantly left us and Max tried to stifle his laughs from the other side of me.
"Sorry." He said sheepishly while his hand shot up to rub the nape of his neck. I swear all guys did that when they were nervous, embarrassed, etc, you know.
"Gabe you're aloud to be surprised or whatever, but just no shouting. Alright?" I really didn't like it when people yelled, I might have liked my music loud but voices are a completely different story.
"Surprised?" He asked in disbelief, "I'm a little more than surprised. I mean I was vaguely listening last night when Max freaked out on the family but I didn't think." I automatically stopped Gabe before he got ahead of himself,
"It's fine, not many people know anyways so I was expecting shocked reactions. It's cool." I said trying to brush it off before taking a bite of my potatoes.
"How, how did you get them?" He asked wearily.
"Hmm? Oh bullies and my dad." I tried not to go into detail before taking another bite. "Please do not ask any more question. Everything bad is over anyways." Gabe looked like he wanted to say sorry, you know how humans always say sorry for things that aren't their fault, but then decided not to. I was glad, Gabe didn't do anything wrong and I wasn't doing this for pity, I wasn't not hiding my scars for attention. Max was right, he gave me freedom I never thought I had before and that's all it was, a little more freedom. Dinner went smoothly, Max's foot nudging mine every now and then like the pervious nights and I was so close to asking him why on gods green earth he was doing that. After dinner we had pie for dessert and it was absolutely heavenly.

We were now back and in our separate dorms. James had welcomed me back with wide arms, literally, and was shocked to see my arms bare. He was glad I had a great time while away and we spent that day taking about our time apart. Before the break could end I had decided to go shopping. I bought tee shirts and sleeveless shirts I never imagined myself wearing, but that was before and this is now. It was Monday morning and I was waking up, getting ready to head to classes. Trying to wake up with my held up and confidence up I made my way into my bathroom. I showered and blow dried my hair when I stepped out. I slipped into black ripped skinny James and pulled on a Black Veil Brides black tee shirt before putting my bracelets back on. When I finished in the bathroom and reentered into my bedroom, putting my needed things into my canvas bag and grabbed my black combat boots to put on. I quickly grabbed a sweater, since it was a January morning, and wrapped it around myself before leaving my dorm, locking the door behind me. As I made my way to my first class, the history art I thought about my classes. They were all the same as the term before because these are such long courses but I had dropped old English for Research methods. Now that I was completely positive about becoming an art therapist I wanted to start on my psychology courses that I would need to take as soon as possible.
As usual my head phones were in, my music blasting when someone nudged my shoulder. I pulled them out as I looked up to see Max had joined me.
"Nice sweater." He complements. Not understanding why he'd complement it I looked down, only then noticing that the oversized hoodie I'd grabbed was the one Max had lent me some time back. I could feel my face heat up and I said slightly embarrassed.
"I hadn't even noticed. Did you want it back." I made above to take it off when he held up his hand stopping me.
"It's fine, I don't have use for it, especially right now." He told me softly with one of those small smiles that I was seeing more often.
"Alright." We continued to walk to our first class and made our way to the last rows where Blase and Jack were already sitting. As we approached them Jack stood up and collapsed into a hug on me.
"Oh Ashton you're back." He cried in an overly dramatic way.
"Actually you're back, I've been back for a few days you haven't if I recall properly." I said prying him off of me, Max and Blase chuckling in the background. I rolled my eyes at the three boys already so happy to be back in class. Not that I didn't miss these guys, well except for Max because of obvious reasons.
"Sage told Crystal and I." He said suddenly becoming serious as we sat down, Max and Blase sitting in the seats in front of us. Jack offered me a sympathetic smile and before I could reassure him about anything Balse turned around and asked,
"What happen. Did something happen to you Ashton?" It was only then did I realize Blase and a I were actually fairly close, especially considering we barely knew anything about each other. It was evident in his worried tone. I offered both buys soft smiles and noticed Max tensing up.
"It's alright now. Leo was just playing me but I'm over it. It sucked when it happened but someone helped me through it." I didn't mention that Max was the one to help me through it but I didn't think that mattered, not to them at least, but definitely to me.
"He did more than play you, the dick." I heard Max mummer angrily and I tired not to laugh as I caught it. Ah Max.
"Alright class settle down." Professor McKinley called, staring the class. Turning around and whispering to me Balse said,m
"For what it's worth I'm sorry. He clearly doesn't deserve you." I smiled in thanks to him before McKinley began speaking again.
"Welcome back everyone for take two." I don't know if I've ever said this before but Professor McKinley was my absolute favorite out of all my teachers, he was like my teacher friend. You know how you read in those books or see in those movies where the main character had one teacher that they can really go to, no matter what, well that was Mr. McKinley for me.
"Now I know that this is supposed to be a history class but to start the semester off we're going to be doing a project on current art compared to old art. Compare an artist like Picasso to someone Damien Hirst. My expectations for this project are the same as the first protect you did with me last term. So once again you will be in groups of four. And since you all worked so well in your pervious teams you get to be with them again. If you don't remember who was in your group I'm sure someone else does. You will again have three weeks, one in class two outside. Don't disappoint me." He finished with a stern look before the class moved into motion.
"Alright anyone got any ideas?" I asked the three boys surrounding me before we got to work. Since last times plan had worked so well we pretty much went with the same schedule and before we knew it Professor McKinley was calling out as the bell rang,
"Do not forget that we have libraries at your use. Oh and Miss Reed I'd like to speak with you." I became nervous and fidgeted with the sleeves of Max's sweater that I had yet to taken off. I wasn't sure why I was nervous but you never know why a teacher wants to talk with you.
"I'll let Professor know you're talking with him." Jack let me know before throwing his bag over his shoulder and marching out of the massive class. I became warm and pulled off the sweater. I waved by to Max and Blase who had called their goodbyes to me before they left along with everyone else.
"McKinley." I greeted with a nod as I ca, to a stop before him.
"Ashton, how was your break?" I deflated as I realized that I wasn't in trouble before straightening up and replied,
"Well. I went home with a friend so things actually went more eventful than I thought." I took note of Professor McKinley's eyes that lingered on my bare, scar bearing arms, and resisted the ridge to hide them behind my back.
"That's good. May I assume that this friend is Mr. Gilbert?" He said stifling through papers on his desk before crumpling one and tossing it in the garbage.
"Yes," I say skeptically, "How did you know?"
"Teachers intuition." He replied shrugging slightly. Rolling my eyes I took a seat in the front row, basically right in front of his desk.
"Okay, now the real reason?" I asked curious to really know.
"Well it is teachers intuition. I'm not blind, you're different around Mr. Gilbert." I brushed it off, not thinking much of it. Ya sure I was different around Max, we sometimes had sarcastic banters that were harmless and Max could make me laugh harder than most people but so what? "So are you doing well? Really, I mean." McKinley had asked me this before but I'd never given him a real answer. I never gave anyone a real answer. Not unless I was balling my eyes out on the roof. I don't know why I lied to Professor McKinley, he was the one teacher I really trusted. He was one of the few people I felt bad lying to, and when a say few people I mean very few people. Taking a deep breath I said with less of a smile,
"Things were getting bad, really bad. But I'm good now, I'm getting better but that's thanks to Mr. Gilbert as well I guess."
"Ashton," Professor started with a gentle tone, "I've wanted to ask you before, but was you're home not safe. You don't talk about your home and seem a little detached from the class along with other things. Jack has spoken about you and mentioned things that worry me. Not only that but you didn't go home for Christmas."
"What wait? Why does Jack talk about me to you." I was so confused, what did they have little gossip sessions about me. I don't think they said anything bad but like what the heck. McKinley also expressed shock mixed with confusion.
"Has Jack not told you. He's my nephew." My eyes widened with sudden realization. And then I thought, what the hell Jack, no don't tell me that my favorite teacher is your uncle. I quickly shook my head to say no. "I should have known he wouldn't. This is Jack, it's let details like this slip his mind. Well anyways whenever Jack talks about his friends he obviously talks about you as well. But some of the things he's said, had me worried." I took in his words before nodding slowly, partly because I was still taking in his words and partly because I didn't want admit it.
"My mum passed away when I was born. My father was devastated, took it out on me. But I'm safe now, I have friends and someone looking over me and I'm never going back their. Well I might go back to that town, but never that house." I tried to reassure Mr. McKinley but what I was telling him wasn't even the half of it and I was worried he'd flip and go all overly concerned. But he didn't. He looked like he wanted to, like really wanted to.
"I'm just glad you're safe now." He said instead, I think he knew I didn't want him to worry to much when things really were looking up.
"Thank you, that means a lot to me." I told him in all honesty.
"And I'm happy that you've made some good friends." I smiled, agreeing with his words before he added, "You better get going to your next class before Professor Jenson kills me." I laughed lightly and stood up to grab the quick note he was writing. He handed it to me and we said good bye before I left for advanced drawing. I was only like twenty minutes no big deal right, or maybe not.
"I'm going to kill him." Mrs Jenson proclaimed as I handed her the note. I opened my mouth to say something but she was speaking again, but not to me, I think. "He does this all the time. What does he need from my students so badly that it cannot wait."
"Um, Professor Jenson?" I asked timidly, the whole class starring at us.
"Uh, oh yes. You can take your seat. I'm sure that one of your peers can explain to you our simple project." She replied, like she'd been snapped from some faze of anger, anger towards McKinley.
"Thank you Professor." I said swiftly before hurrying to my seat next to Jack. Moments later everyone was returning to whatever it was they were doing and I turned to Jack, slapping his arm.
"Ow, what ya do that for?" He demanded as he rubbed his arm.
"Why have you never told me that McKinley is your uncle." I scolded him with a glare.
"Ha, oh ya. McKinley is my uncle." He said, his arm forgotten. I rolled my eyes saying,
"Ya that's really helpful now."
"What did you guys talk about anyways? You were gone for a while." Crystal budded in, not that I minded.
"Um not much at first but then we got around to these." I stretched my arms out in front of me, trying to down play it. So far that has been my tactic, I know Max said I should wear them as a badge to show how strong I am but it's still not easy. After years of keeping it bottled up, it's gonna take me a while. All of their eyes, Jack, Crystal, Sage, widened and looks that expressed more than shock were painted to each of their faces.
"Are those...?" Sage began.
"Scars? Ya. They're from my dad, and bullies." No details made it easier to say.
"Ashton!" They cried before Crystal asked, "Why have you never told us before." Her tone was demanding with betrayal, but understanding and care.
"It was just hard to talk about. Hard to show." I answered with a weak shrug.
"So why now?" Jack asked carefully. I once again shrugged lamely, saying,
"I don't know, someone who's always been around as kinda just become more present, they've just been their in a way a never thought they would be. They gave me strength. But I guess I have you guess to thank for making that person so present in my life now. Thanks." They all gave me odd looks and Jack was the first to ask,
"Wait, who are we talking about?" I almost wanted to laugh because of the tone in his voice and look on his face. Sage seemed to understand before anyone else and spoke in wonder,
"So that day all those months ago. You weren't friends with Max, you knew him but you weren't friends. We made you go give him a hug and that's when it all started, didn't it?" I nodded, confirming her suspicions. "So, how well did you really know Max?"
"Well Max was a lot more silent and emotionless before coming here so I didn't know much about him. He was pretty much a bystander but wasn't exactly nice to me either. His best friend was this guy named Chris who was probably one of my worst bullies ever. But ya know we kindled a friendship had a heart to moment and we're good. Well I guess we're better than good since I did go home with him for Christmas." I added in a low, thoughtful voice, talking more to myself than anyone.  I looked up to find them all starring at me in bewilderment. Eager to get their eyes off of me I said,
"So, what's this project Mrs. Jenson mentioned?"