Chapter 26 - You're never a mess

A woke up with fingers soothingly running through my hair and noticed that my head was in Max's lap. Moving my eyes away from him I looked around the room to see that almost everyone was here. Embarrassed, I quickly turned so that my face was away from the room. I can't believe I fell asleep, and on Max nonetheless, I mean what was the point of drinking that coffee if it wasn't going to even keep me awake. With a sigh I sat up from my comfortable comfortable position, still sitting fairly close to Max.

"Good morning sleepy head." Max said with a soft smirk that was nearly a smile. I rolled my eyes and asked,

"Why did you let me fall asleep?"

"The better question would be why wouldn't I? You were clearly tired and my family is tiring so I thought I'd let you get all the sleep you could." He explained in a tone that was a mix between "duh" and a caring one.

"Thanks Max." I said, meaning it. Before he could reply his mum stood up exclaiming,

"Perfect everybody is here. We can start eat." We all got up and gathered in the dinning room, eating the simple but yummy breakfast. Snacking on a few raspberries, I finished my meal about the same time as everybody else. Jordan stood up and pulled on a Santa hat and asked,

"Who's ready for gifts?" Leaving the table we all returned to the living room, some of us moving faster than others. Max and I sat back down in our original spots with Natty in front of us on the ground. I swear she loved the floor more than an actual seat.

"Alright, cards first." He said gathering all the cards in his hand. "Clara and Myles." He said tossing three cards at Myles before continuing, "Jordan and Emma." He tossed three cards to his wife, "Alex and Carly." he tossed four cards in their direction before throwing a few more out, "Dylan, Maddie, Max, Gabe, oh and Ashton." I was shocked when a card came flying my way and barely managed to catch it in my surprised state. After that Jordan distributed the gifts to their respective owners, only when finished did he signal that we could open them. I was,speechless to say the lest when I ended up with a card and a gift. I really wasn't expecting to get anything, it wasn't anything that I wasn't used to, but I didn't mind. I was just glad I wasn't alone this year.

Waiting I watched to see the reactions of the people I'd gotten things for. First was Natalie and I was very happy when her eyes brightened at the sight of the pink bunny.

"It's so cute." She screeched, squeezing the bunny to her chest tightly. She tugged on my pants, even though my attention was already on her. "Thank you Ashy. I'm gonna name her Candy."

"That's a perfect name." I told her and her eyes lit up even more. Next my attention was brought to Gabe as he looked at the thin rectangle shaped gift with slight skeptically. Practically sitting on the edge of my seat I waited for him to open it. When the wrapping paper fell to the floor his face lit up much like Natty's had. Waiting for what he would do next, I was caught off guard when he stood up and hugged me.

"Thank you Ashton. These are amazing." He thanked making me even happier. I was really happy that he liked the charcoal pencils, they were a pretty good brand and I was hoping he'd like them as much as I thought. I was actually kind f shocked by how grateful he seemed, I wonder if he usually paid for all his own art supplies. I had a strange feeling that Mr. Gilbert didn't think art was a good way for Gabe to past his time with.

"Of course. I'm glad you like them." I replied as he pulled away.

"No, I love them." He told me as he returned to his seat. I didn't think anything could take the smile off my face.

"Ashton," Carly said, earning my attention. "Thank you so much for the card." She said, holding it up for me to see.

"You're welcome." I smiled softly, it seemed like the only thing to say. I was glad that everyone was happy with the things I got. Now all I had to do was give Max his gift but I wanted to do that later.