Chapter 41 - No one says smitten anymore

"Are airplanes usually this empty?" I questioned as we took our given seats in the fifth last row, no one beside us in the third seat nor across from us. This was my fourth time on an airplane and like every other time there were many gaping holes of absent passengers.

"Nope." Max tells me, popping the p before continuing, "Every other time I've flown anywhere it's usually packed. You must be my good luck charm." He flashes a charming smirk in my direction as he shoves his bag in the over head compartment.

"And what's so lucky about it?" I question as he joined me, dropping himself in the middle seat, whereas I had taken the window seat.

"Well I thought that'd be obvious." He replied cheekily before leaning in, his mouth hovering near my ear. "I can kiss you repeatedly and no one can say anything about it."

I rolled my eyes, trying to brush off his comment so that my face didn't heat up and whispered back teasingly, "You know what else we can do that no one would complain about?"

"Whoa there taiga. I didn't know the kink life was for you. I mean I know my good looks are absolutely irresistible -" I cut him off by picking up his hand and biting it, smirking when he pulled back with an "ow". Served him right. He pouted at me and mewled,

"You left a mark Little Red, that was mean."

"Better?" I asked after pecking the place I'd bitten, my lips brushing against his rough yet soft skin, the weak mark already fading. I was still smirking. Max rolled his eyes at me before any further conversation was cut off by the pilot who told us that we would be taking off now. As always I braced myself and felt a small jump in my stomach as the wheels of the plane let go of the ground. Even though this wasn't my first time on a plane I still felt nervous. But I loved it was we were flying steady in the air, it felt just like driving.

I looked out the window to see the night sky one lat time before deciding to close it. The lights in the plane were dimmed and made it look dark. Perfect. Even though I knew we'd both be exhausted when we got there I couldn't sleep, at least not right now. When we were up high in the high Max lifted up the arm rest in between us and poked me in the side. I didn't bother asking him what he wanted, only raising a brow in his direction.

"Are you gonna listen to music?" He asked looking like a little kid asking for a cookie. Deciding that I wanted to keep messing with him I said, "Yup." And put both earphones in my ears and pressing play.

I tried my best not to look at him, keeping my eyes forward as I simultaneously toed off my shoes, nudging them my foot so that they were beside my bag. I kept my music low so that if he said anything I could hear him, but he didn't. Instead his eyes burned a hole in the side of my head. When I couldn't hold put any longer I turned to find him with a blank look. I smiled at him as I adjusted the waist-only seat belt so that it was looser and pulled out an earphone, giving it to him. Max continued to stare at me with the same blank look for a couple minutes before I shoved the small object in his chest and looked away again. I'd probably never tell him but I hated it when he looked at me like that. Like there was nothing.

"Aw, don't be mad cupcake." He said suddenly. I could feel a slight tug on the cord of the headphones and then his hands wrapped around my legs, just below the knee, pulling my legs up and over his. With my knees bent comfortably he placed my feet on the seat next to him, my heels against the side of his leg. I refused to look at him, annoyed by the hurtful tug I felt at my heart when he looked at me like that, and kept my head faced forward even though my body was angled towards him.

Unexpectedly, he laced his fingers through my mind, kissing the back of my hand like he did sometimes. It was just a simple gesture but was always filled with meaning and intensity. I looked at him and suddenly everything was forgotten. Stupid Max with his stupid grin and stupid hair. Glaring at his I pushed the hair away from his eyes, mad that with just one look he fixed everything. No one should have that power, but he did.