Chapter 23 - Gotta suck

Waking up like I had just a couple morning ago, I laid with Max's arms wrapped comfortably around me, my body curled into his. I don't know when we ended up like this but I can't say I mind, even if I should. I rolled over in his arms causing him to wake.
"Sorry." I whisper, feeling bad for having woken him.
"Mm, good morning." He replies in a raspy morning voice that was undeniably hot, completely ignoring my apology.
"Morning." I say, deciding to roll with it. He clearly didn't mind that he was awake now. After a moment of silence he said,
"So, what do you thinking? Of everything I mean. I meant to ask you yesterday but you were already asleep." He says sifting so that his arm was facing me better.
"Oh sorry about that. I guess I was a lot more tired than I thought. But everything is great. You're family are all so nice,"
"Except for my step dad." Max interjected before letting me continue.
"No he was just a little um, stiff I guess. But Natalie is so adorable, I can't believe you never told me about her before." I playfully glared at him even though I was actually kind of mad that he hadn't bothered to mention such a cute little person.
"It just never came up, we didn't exactly spend much time talking about family. You're right though she is adorable but it's that adorable face that got me to tell her all my little secrets. Trust me when I say she uses those looks for bad, she can get me to tell her anything." I could the love for his sister dripping even when he said she uses her cuteness for evil. Even if it really isn't that evil.
"She's gonna be a heartbreaker when she's older." I Commented it.
"Not if I can help." He growls, going into protective big brother mode, I've seen James like this before
"Oh c'mon. She's never gonna have any fun with you being so protective." I insisted.
"And what do you classify as fun?" He inquired skeptically. I rolled my eyes before replying completely honest.
"I don't know. Maybe not what you classify as fun." I shrugged wearing before relaxing into Max, letting my eyes close.
"Gabe seems like a good kid. You know when he's having a not bad day." I mention, eyes still shut.
"Ya I'm sorry about him. He usually is pretty good. After Natty and you left I asked him what was up, I guess his girlfriend dumped him for some dumb jock. I mean I feel bad for the kid, that's gotta suck." Max explained.
"Yup, gotta suck." I repeated, agreeing but adding, "You know even when you held you bad boy reputation you were still apart of the football team. That also makes you a dumb jock."
"Um no, that doesn't." He states irritatedly with a roll of his eyes.
"Meow. Someone's grumpy." I teased. He instantly shot up and I gave him a questioning look that he couldn't see because I stayed laying down. Before I had a chance to ask him where he was going he left the room in a frantic search. I heard some yelling and calling but couldn't make out the words. Sitting up in a confused state I looked around the room wondering what the heck just happened. At least five minutes later Max comes back into the room panty with something in his arms. As he comes closer to the bed I notice that it's a kitten and automatically think, Raven. This was Max's cat that he'd told me about. With a sigh Max plopped down in front on me and set Raven down.
"I panicked for a minute there." He said as the kitten wearily approached me.
"Why because we hadn't seen Raven yesterday?" I wonder as I hold out my hand for Raven to smell. She perked up before walking into my lap.
"Ya. I thought maybe something had happened." He admitted as I busied myself with petting the adorable little cat. Oh my god I want one, I thought as the kitten purred when I rubbed behind her ear. I mindless smiled down at the animal as I was barely aware of Max starring at me. After what felt like forever I snapped out of my trance and said,
"I should shower. Is it cool if I use the bathroom." I ask already standing up to get my things.
"Course. Hey do you mind if we go to the mall today, I need to get a few things." He said reaching to rub under Ravens chin.
"Ya that fine. There are actually I couple things I wouldn't mind getting." I told him as I walked back towards the bathroom.
"Great." Was the last thing I heard from him before I shut the door. The hot water cleansed my body before I got out and pulled on jeans and a plain black long sleeve, pulling a knitted, burgundy, infinity scarf over top. I pulled my hair into a simple French braid before finishing up and enticing the bathroom. Max was no longer in the room so after pulling in my boots I left the room in search for him. Following the amazing scent I made my way into the kitchen, Max conveniently standing a couple feet away from me.
"Perfect timing." He said upon noticing me as gestured for one of the bar stools next to him. The second I sat down a plate was set down in front of each of us, bacon and egg on both. Mugs of coffee were poured for us and I added cream to mine after the cook had turned back to the stove. After a quick but delicious breakfast we grabbed coats and Max took me out back behind the house.
"So where are we going?" I wondered out loud as he lead us into a garage.
"Well how else are we going to get to the mall without a mode of transportation." Next thing I know we were standing in front of the old beat up motorcycle he used to drive in high school. After Finley convincing me it was safe and that it wouldn't break down I climbed on the back and wrapped my arms securely around his waist. Even with a helmet on my head the wind still pulled a few strands lose of my braid. Max and I walked around the mall together for a bit before splitting up. I was thankful for that because I wanted to get Max something for Christmas. I didn't care if he never helped me in the last, he's helped me more than enough in the past few months and not only has been an amazing friend but brought me home for Christmas so I wouldn't be alone. I knew Max was planing to become an English teacher and that he loved reading so after ponder over what would be the perfect gift for someone like that I found a beautiful leather bound journal. It was simple, dark brown leather that covered the book, a flap attacked to a thick string of leather wrapped around the book, keeping it shut. After getting that I bought a card for Carly and Mr Gilbert and a little pink bunny for Natalie. I wanted to get something for Gabe to but I had no idea what, I barely knew anything about him. So after I met back up with Max and we both had a couple bags I asked him for help. After arguing for a bit, Max insisting that I didn't need to get him anything, he finally complied saying that Gabe and Natalie shared the same love for drawing. He told me the only reason he was taking the history of art was because he found it interesting and for those two. I thought that was cute. I was glad that Gabe liked to draw because a) I could get him a set of charcoal pencils and b) I could strike up a conversation with him now without it ending terribly awkward. After Max and I were satisfied we both some late lunch and headed back home. I took the things to Max's room and asked for him not to come in while I wrapped the gifts. I tucked them away in my suitcase for now and left the room so Max could wrap the things he needed to.