Past 16

"What did you just say? You want to be a chef? Oh.. Ya.. Do you know how to make Aloo Baigan? Do you know how to cook Bhindi Masala? Biryani? Butter Chicken? Chole Bhature? Daal Puri? Tadka? Dum Aloo? Poha? Gajar ka Halwa? Khichdi? Kofta? Do you know any of them? Do you even know how to light the gas Or make something so simple as tea? Do you?" my father shouted from the other end of the phone. He went all hyper after he heard that I wanted to change my stream.

You can say that my father was the 'mother' of the family. Because my mom, on the other hand, took it quite calmly. She said that she believed in me and supported me in every decision I take. Its probably because she liked the idea of cooking. She even teased me saying that girls loved boys who can cook, and I am going to get lots of proposals for that. Ha.. What a cool mother I have!!

But my dad was still shouting on the phone. I had placed the phone 3 cm away from my ear. Precaution is better than cure. I didn't want to land up being deaf. "Dad, dad calm down. I will do fine. I don't know how to make all the dishes. But I will learn. I know some of them too. I joined a cooking class here ." I pleaded hoping that he would agree. Truth was, I didn't even know the names of some- leave alone cooking!

"OK.. Then tell me how to cook Chole Bhature?" he asked me, testing my skills- which was almost non-existent in me. I knew if I couldn't answer, he won't let me take up cooking. I rushed to the bed where my laptop was kept.

"What's taking you so long? Tell me." dad snapped at me.

"Dad, come on. I have learnt so many dishes I need time to remember." I said opening up Google and searching for the Chole Bhature recipe. It took ages to load. Or its what I felt. You know everything in this world becomes slow when you are in a hurry.

"OK.. First, wash the chole and soak them overnight in water, so that we can get double-sized chole in the morning.. then take chicken peas into pressure cooker and..." I went on explaining the entire procedure to him while he kept on saying 'hm' after every line. Does he even know the procedure himself? "....add chopped cilantro leaves, mix and serve." I ended out of breath. Just then my laptop displayed a 'no battery' notification and went dead.

Oh shit!! No no please dad, do not ask any more recipes.

"OK fine. What about foreign dishes? There won't be just Indian dishes you know na?" he asked seriously, his voice softening a bit.

"Ya, dad that's what I am saying. I will learn those and trust me I would do well. And now-a-days chefs are in demand. I will get paid well. Please give me a chance." I pleaded, searching for the laptop charger. Can't take the risk of not answering an Indian recipe question. Oh! Where the hell is it? I seriously need to clean my room.

"OK.. You can try." my dad said.

"What? Really!! Yesss.." I squealed dropping the shirt I was holding. I don't need the charger at present. My room set-up is saved.

"But, if you fail- you return back to studying Engineering without any protest. Agreed?" my dad questioned.

"Of course dad. No protest. I will do good." I said determined. I really need to do well. Phew.. good thing dad agreed . Mission accomplished. I wonder how Avni is doing.

------------------------------------

**AVNI**

"Hello!!" Avni spoke on the phone. Her eyes a little watery.

"Yes. Who is this?" the person asked from the other end of the line.

"Avni" she answered in a word. Her voice low, almost to a whisper.

"Avni? Who?" the reply came instantly. What? How could he forget her?

'Who is it, honey?' she heard the distant voice of a woman over the phone. Her face hardened as she recognized it.

'Some Avni', the man answered her back. 'Oh my god baby. She is your daughter. Did you forget her?' she heard the woman tell her father.

Avni bent down her head, her tears threatening to fall. How can her father forget her? Is she that distant from him? True, they hardly ever talk. But she was his daughter, his blood.

"Oh! What do you want?" the man growled as recognition hit him.

"Nothing.." Avni controlled her shaky voice. "I just wanted to talk to you dad."

"There is nothing to talk to you. I am busy." her father snapped at her, almost cutting the call, when Avni pleaded him to stop.

"Dad, its important. Please listen to me. I am joining fashion designing course. I don't want to study engineering any further. Just wanted to tell you that." she said in one breath.

'What? But why is it so?' she again heard the woman's distant voice speak. Why the hell is the phone on speaker? Why is she even answering. Avni kept quite. She was talking to her father not her. And she will answer only to her father. 

"Let her do what she wants." he answered the woman. "And you." she addressed Avni sternly. "Do whatever you want. Just don't expect any sort of cooperation from us." saying so her father kept the phone.

Avni kept staring at the phone for sometime. Then, she got up, rubbing the tears off her face. She sat at her table and got engrossed in her work, as if nothing has ever happened.

******************************

Updates! Update!

At last the parents agreed. Avni's one couldn't be all rainbows you see.

From now onward, I might not be able to update regularly as my classes started again. Teachers have no pity for our tiny brain.

This chapter is dedicated to crazygirl_202. A hearty thanks to her for voting. 

Anyways, I hope you guys liked this update. Please do not forget to vote, comment and share. It really means a lot to me and I am thankful for your support.

Love you lots!!

Happy Reads!!