Past 17

**AVNI**

 The clock showed 4 in the morning. Avni was still hard at work- finding errors, developing new programs, running them, revising earlier lessons. But this time, she looked a bit restless.

After few moments, she pushed away her books. Laying back on the chair, she clutched her hair tightly in frustration. "Oh why why why can't I get this out of my head." she grumbled pulling her hair.

'She is your daughter. Did you forget her?'- the words kept running in her head. No matter what she tried, she wasn't able to get the thought out of her.

As it happens, one thought gives way to another. 'Your birthday is in two days. How come I never knew it? We are going to celebrate it grandly.'- she remembered Abhi's words. She got up from the chair and slowly went towards her bed.

"If only you knew Abhi. If only you knew." she mumbled, sitting down on the bed.

--------------------------------

"Hey, come lets cut the cake." Avni heard her mother call out to her father. She was busy admiring herself in the mirror. She is going to turn thirteen today. She blushed at the thought. She will grow up to be a fine woman.

"Whom are you talking to?" she again heard her mother's voice. She went out of her room to see what was happening. She saw her father standing near the door of his room, his face flustered. 

"O..Office work. Col..colleagues." her father stammered. Why the hell is he scared?

"But why are you looking so scare.. I mean flustered? Is everything OK?" her mother asked concerned.

"Yes.. fine. Just some works." her father mumbled. "Anyway who gave you the right to question me?" her father growled when he remembered that his wife had no right to ask him anything. Sarcastic right?

Her mother backed off in fear. Avni knew that if its not stopped, they would start quarreling. Actually that would be a solo quarrel. It was her father who was always angry.

"Lets cut the cake." she said to her mother. She is going to ask a special wish today. Maybe everything would be good after that.

She saw her mother bring out the freshly baked cake. It smelt so heavenly. Her mother was the best cook in the world. The cake looked beautiful. There was HAPPY BIRTHDAY candles lit on top of the vanilla flavored  cake. When her mother set the cake on the table, she started counting the candles. There were thirteen in number. Even she was turning thirteen. So lucky.

Avni's mother smiled at her, "Come on sweetheart. Now make a wish and blow the candles." She looked at her father, he was busy reading the newspaper. Everything is going to be fine now.

She closed her eyes- 'Please birthday, make my wish come true. Everything is going to be fine if my father is happy. Make him happy. Thank you." she kissed her knuckles and opened her eyes. She was about to blow the candle when the phone rang.

Her mother went to answer it. "Yes, speaking.. What?....Where?.... I will be right there." Avni heard her mother say. She looked tensed.

"What happened?" her father asked.

"There has been a terrorist attack. I need to go" saying so her mother rushed inside her room. She came out soon after dressed in her uniform.

She went towards Avni and bent low. "Take care of your father and yourself OK?" her mother said. "Be brave and happy. I need to leave now." her mother kissed her forehead. Avni felt surprisingly uneasy at the mention of leaving.

"When will you return?" she called out to her mother. But she had already left- without an answer.

Avni sat down on the sofa, waiting for her mother. The candles were still lit up on the cake.

After sometime, she saw her father get up. "I am going after your mother. I need to check up on her. Do not burn the house down while I am away." Avni nodded her head. And he left.

Avni waited and waited. The time seemed to have stopped. The hands of the clock moved at a snail's pace. She went out to the balcony and looked at the sky. She loved to see the stars. They twinkled so lovingly, but this night seemed darker than ever. She couldn't see any star. It looked so dark. There was an unknown bad feeling clawing at her heart. She didn't like it at all.

After an hour or two, when the time at last decided to move, she heard the front door of the house open. She ran inside, thinking that her parents were back. But instead there was only her father. His face looked devastated. His shirt was soaked in blood.

"Dad, what happened? Where is mom?" she asked scared looking behind her father.

"She is no more." her father said. There was no emotion in his voice. "She is never returning back. I couldn't do anything to save her. She left us." her father broke down and rushed towards his room.

Avni could see her world crash. She couldn't stand any longer. Her heart felt as if it had crawled out of her body mercilessly. Her eyes pained. Her heart grieved at the loss of her soul. Was thirteen really that unlucky? No... maybe she was.

Meanwhile, the candles had melted down on the cake, destroying it completely.

PS- Did her birthday wish actually come true? Maybe.. in a different way.

********************

Hi readers!!

I am sorry that I couldn't update yesterday. So I updated early today to make up for it.

This chapter is a huge turning point in Avni's life. Each of her memories are depressing. But maybe she will get real happiness after being with her love. Lets just wait for that.

This time I don't know whom to dedicate. I really request my readers to comment. Please don't be silent. I need to know your thoughts to write better. I am a newbie here. Its tough to write if you do not give your views. I hope my lovely readers would comment.

So do comment, vote and share. Love<3

Happy Reads!!