Past 27

I looked at her face sternly. She sat down nonchalantly and glanced at her mark sheet. "This is the worst marks I have ever got." Avni mumbled almost inaudibly. 

Enough with the whining. The angry bird Avni is better than the cry baby one. Time for some change. I snatched the sheet from her, folded it and kept it in my bag. "Heyy!" she cried, trying to get it back.

"No.." I said, moving my finger sideways near her face. "It doesn't matter any more. Just forget about it. Your marks won't magically change if you keep whining about it. But surely we can work to make it better right?"

"No Naina." she said shaking her head. "I know that I can't change it. But I do not wish to forget it. If I forget, I would even forget that I have to work hard. This marks will be a reminder to me." That makes sense. Everyone has their own techniques.

"Cool, I understand. I would give it back to you later, now please stop whining." I joined my hands dramatically. "We need to concentrate on this competition at hand." she listened attentively. "You don't wanna leave this college. Sanaya is a very tough competitor. Her styling is totally top class. She knows every bit of fashion- at least the ones we have learnt till now and maybe more. I heard that someone from her family is in this fashion line." I remembered a girl bitching about Sanaya being good because her uncle has a fashion brand. "She has a guidance. We don't have any."

"We have Mrs. Khan. She might just guide us a bit." Avni suggested.

I nodded. "We would ask her."

"Tell me about the competition. I don't really have any clue."

"This happens when you enter something without thinking

"This happens when you enter something without thinking." I scolded her. "Leave. The 'Go Cool' competition is one of the most important competitions organised by this college. Representatives from different companies arrives and marks the students accordingly. Winning this is a huge thing, far more important than this exam. You may even be offered a job, if any of the companies likes your work that much. Means you will already be employed even before passing out. This is usually organised after every two years." I paused thinking what to say next.

"Oh ya! The markings are really tough there, for everyone have different taste for fashion. One small mistake may cost you a lot. You need to impress more than half of the companies, only than you can win it." She looked at my face, expressionless. I continued. "There are three rounds" I showed three fingers. "1st, The Photo shoot and Introduction round. We have to prepare and present your photo shoot on any two topics. We will think about that later. And of course you need an impressive introduction.

2nd, The Wild round. It is as it sounds like. WILD.. All western clothing. You can give your own twist to it. You can call it exotic styling. And its normal ramp walk. But you need to be very particular: make up to hairstyle.. everything- very precise.

Last, the 3rd and the most important one- The Traditional round. You can wear any Indian traditional dress."

"What's so hard about this? We are Indians and we normally wear traditional." Avni said.