Past 22

**NAINA**

"What are you smiling at?" I heard Avni's voice near my ear, which broke my day dream.

"Uh.. Nothing.." I said shaking my head, feeling flustered.

"You like Karan. Don't you?" Avni asked bluntly, looking straight into my eyes.

"No... no..of.. of course not." I stammered lowering my eyes from her gaze. I could feel my face heating up. How can she be so direct?

I waited for her to oppose my answer. Forming in my mind new excuses. Excuses?? I meant facts. Of course I don't like Karan. He is just a friend. When Avni didn't say anything, I looked towards her. She was engrossed in a magazine.

"Is that a fashion magazine?" I asked her, probably she would forget this conversation if I changed the topic.

"Ya." she groaned looking at the brand names.

"Umm.. Don't mind my saying, but you need to change your styling. Because looking at you no one would believe that you will join fashion designing course.. I mean.. You get it right?" I said a little hesitant. I wasn't scared of her. Its just that she had a demeanor which screamed 'I-am-an-easy-person-to-displease.'  Not that I cared. She looked strong and determined. But you know when a person don't care about fashion, boyfriends or anything that makes two girls enemies, you can't just be bitchy to her. It just won't come.

"Ya I know. That's the reason I am reading this freaking fashion magazine. This goes all omega over my head. Like see the names- Gucci, Dior, Levi's, Lee, Monte Carlo and many more. Do these names even make any sense? But still we have to know this. Learn this. Why can't I just change my stream?" her voice ranging from a loudspeaker to a whisper.

"Ya. But.." I was about to start when we heard the announcement - "Avni Deb and Naina Sharma, your college is here. The bus will come to pick you up by the end of your classes."

We took our belongings and got off the bus. As we neared the college gate, I was struck by a feeling of familiarity. I came here before. Oh Ya.. I came here long back with my sister. I don't remember why.

There was a stoned pathway leading to the entrance of the college. The building was so pretty. Blue mayn't be my favorite choice of color but it surely suited the texture of this building. Blue and white- quite a good combination. Above the huge glass entrance, NIFT was written in a fashionable font. I just loved the rich feeling.

"Pretty good right?" I asked looking at Avni, controlling my urge to squeal

"Ya, Its far better than what I expected. Its not all and fancies that I thought it would be like. Quite professional." she smiled. She looked really pretty with that sweet smile, but sadly that was a rare sight to witness.

"Cool. Lets go then. I know the way to the administrative office." I said holding her hand and almost dragging her to the office.

Once we reached, I entered the room after knocking. There was elderly lady sitting behind the desk. When she saw me, a smile grew in her face which was reflecting in my face too. 

"Naina.." "Aunty!" we both cried at the same time. I rushed and hugged her. "OMG! Aunty.. Its so nice to meet you after so long. I now remember why I came here long back with my sister. It was to meet you. Oh god! What a coincidence." I talked non-stop, jumping around. She was my mother's friend and used to visit us earlier. My sister and I loved her a lot. She used to bring imported chocolates for us.Such a sweetheart.

"Shh.. shh.." she silenced me. "I'm your MA'am here, not aunt. I am glad to see you and your friend." she said glancing at Avni. 

"You look familiar. Did we ever meet?" her eyes fixed on Avni.

Avni crunched her eyebrows and shook her head, "No. we didn't" she smiled politely.

MA'am cleared her throat and diverted her eyes back to me, "OK! Well. Umm.. The teacher for today's class isn't present. So you are getting a day off." Wow! First day off? This is so nice. I will take Avni to shopping. "But, don't be excited. You were late in joining this semester. So you missed a lot of classes. You need to work extra hard to catch up to the other students." Plan goes in the drain. Ugh!

"The teacher would explain you the parts that you missed in the next class probably. So for now complete your pending assignments. It will help you in class. Its just the basics." she continued, searching something. After she found it, she handed us a folder containing typed sheets- explaining us our assignments.

"So get started. You can go to the library if you want."

-----------------------

Twenty long minutes later, we at last found the library. Big buildings are like a maze. You can't find anything.

 You can't find anything

The library was huge.. like really huge!! The books covered the entire length of the wall. There was even stairs to go higher up to reach for the books that touched the ceiling. Did anyone ever read those books? There was even leather sofas near the book shelves. We choose one nearby and sat down. I looked at Avni. She was doing something weird. She was like smelling the air. "Books!!!" she murmured. Her eyes closed.

"This is real heaven." she said opening her eyes. "I can just die here. I am going to explore." she jumped up from her seat.

"They are just fashion magazines and books." I announced looking at the assignment sheet. She groaned and sat down. 

"Why is everyone dressed like they are straight out of a ramp show?" she asked looking around. I looked up. Everyone was dressed in branded clothes, shouting 'luxury...luxury". Totally classy.

"Its because if you wanna be a designer and develop new designs for others, you have to look like a fashionista yourself. You can't expect people to be attractive to a design whose designer is dressed in rags." I explained from whatever knowledge I had.

"OK. Makes sense. Lets start with the assignment then." she muttered removing the idea of changing her fashion disaster style. If she won't do it herself, then I guess I have to turn her into a girl.

"Ugh! Why can't the brands just leave me in peace?" she grumbled looking at the first assignment that stated- 'A thorough research on the fashion brands in India!"

****************************

Hello readers!

New update. Sorry I was late. My classes are on. So I am quite busy. And on top of that earthquakes are occurring in every part of the world. This is scary!

Anyway I dedicated this chapter to my friend  Abby(Lemon_Warrior).. Just check out her book 'I hunt zombies' Its really cool!!

Anyway do tell me what you thought of this chapter.  Was it good? Bad? Next chapter would be about the start of their training. 

Please don't forget to comment, vote and share. Thanks a lot for the wonderful support.

Love you lots<3

Happy Reads!!!