Past 50

Two weeks had gone by since the move in. Everyone had settled in their own personal abode. Karan and Naina in their pretty home; Abhi in his old flat, thinking of moving to a different place and Avni was getting on with her days in her dream house.

Everything seemed quiet that night in that beautiful house, as Avni stood quietly in the hall staring at a picture, framed and hanged above the electric fire place. She smiled reliving the graduation day in their spy academy. It had been a wonderful journey, one that she would cherish for life long.

She looked peaceful, but her mind was restless. With the end of their training period, it marked the beginning of the real journey. They weren't amateur anymore. They were licensed with weapons, weapons that killed. They had responsibilities on their shoulder.
Unlike earlier, they were to protect their secret identity on a bigger scale. Their mistakes might be counted as a crime, their achievements as glory. But, even before she could hide her identity properly, there were people out there who knew about her. People who weren't her friends.

It had been too long and nothing had happened yet. No deaths, no warning, no hacking; there seemed to be nothing to worry about since sometime. But, Avni knew it wasn't all over.
Her mind didn't want to agree with the quietness, as she paced about, she knew that something would happen. Something wasn't right. Everything was just too silent. It was like the silence before the storm. She wasn't sure how big the storm would be, or how devastating; she just knew it was bound to happen.

"Okay! Calm down Avni. You know stuffs. You can solve this mystery, you can solve it. All you need to do is calm down. Go to your study, and list it. Try connecting the dots. Everything will fall into place. Right! That's what you need to do." Avni whispered to herself, as she stopped pacing.

Making up her mind to find the answers, she stranded to her kitchen. She opened her refrigerator, took out a bottle of water, and closed it back again. She went over to the kitchen counter, and poured herself some water in a glass. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath, before sipping her drink.

She slowly opened her eyes as she felt the calmness returning to her. And everything was suddenly dark.
"Huh? What the hell?" She mumbled, slowly making her way to the switch board, placing the glass of water on the counter. She clicked on the switches. Nothing! The electricity was out. Everything was suddenly pitch black.

She took out her phone from her pocket, to turn on the flash light. But instead of a black screen, it was flashing Naina's name. She was about to receive it, when the call ended. The notification bar popped up displaying 7 missed call from Naina. Damn, the silent mode.
She was going to call her back, but it again started flashing Naina's incoming call.

"Hello." She said nonchalantly, answering it.

"Avni? Damn it! Just pick up the call when it rings." She scolded from the other end, her voice shaky.

"Oh chill! Calm down Naina. I am here." Avni grinned, again trying the switches.

"No.. No.. Avni. Listen to me carefully. Do not leave your house. I repeat DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE. We are coming for you." Avni heard Naina's trembling voice, as well as a slight noise from the hall.

"What do you mean? Its so late. Why would you come now?" Avni questioned, as she slowly stepped out of the kitchen, confused as to what the noise was.

"We are coming Avni. Just do not leave your house. Go to your bedroom, and lock your door. Do not come out unless we are there. Are you listening to me? Avni?" Naina voice screamed through the speakers.

"Okay. You are being really weird and scary. I would love to go to my room now, but I wouldn't be able to find my way in the dark. Not yet, used to the way." Avni mumbled, stepping out of the kitchen feeling the wall.