Pearls and unicorns

~Xavier~

"Guns are for wimps."

I regretted saying that even before she glared at me. Victoria was a lot of things : a liar, a thief, a murderer and a reckless idiot -

"Give. Me. My. Heckler & Koch."

She emphasised every word by hitting me with her fan. I grabbed the frilly thing from her, swearing.

Overall, a fücking piece of work.

But definitely not a wimp.

I adjusted my tie, as she turned to the mirror. Shortcake was wearing a severe black coat, showing neither skin nor curves. I was oddly disappointed, but at least, she was ready -

Victoria began pinning up her hair with pearls.

I pursed my lips before I said something stupid. To be fair, she didn't know that this would probably drive me insane.

It's her hair. I reminded myself. She can do whatever she wants with it.

As she trapped another curl, my fingers itched. Why the fück do women do that? All I wanted to do now was toss out those pins and watch that wine red river fall to her waist.

She'll probably murder you if you try that. I told myself.

Yeah, but I'll die a happy man.

Shut up, you sappy idiot.

"In case you haven't noticed, I'm not Bruce Lee." Victoria said, snapping me out of my mental conversation. "I suck at fighting."

"Guns aren't allowed in the castle." I explained. "And you're not the worst fighter I've seen."

"Was that a compliment? Wow. High praise from Sir Biscuit." She rolled her eyes. Tucking the last pin, she turned to face me. "For once, be honest. At least tell me what it is I'm supposed to do."

I sighed. I could've told her of course. It would've gone a little like this :

"You know, Danny? My best friend? It's his engagement party, which is conveniently going to be held at the castle, where my 'sick' father is probably waiting to kill me.

Also, someone wants the happy groom dead, which is why you're here in the first place.

Oh, and let's not forget the abundance of leeches from the bride's family.

So basically, your job is to make sure there aren't too many bodies on the dance floor tonight."

As cheerful as that conversation was, I couldn't tell her everything. I couldn't tell her why I needed to be there for Danny, or why my father and I would need more than family counselling to fix things.

So instead, this was all I said.

"Just be prepared for some action."

"Just so you know, this whole 'mysterious guy' thing got old, real quick." She muttered.

"You think that's why I don't tell you things?" I laughed. "Because it makes me look attractive?"