Save the unicorns

~Victoria~

Royalty sucked.

Councils sucked.

Kings S.U.C.K.E.D.

I punched the sand bag emphasising every letter with the force to destroy a tank. I thought of how much I hated crowns, fine wine, designer clothes, and everything else a sane person would kill for.

But not me. Nope.

I killed for coffee, a roof over my head and a good night's sleep.

Two months after leaving
that göddamn ballroom, he'd made sure I had the ingredients for all three.

Ten million dollars in my bank account.

A ticket back to New York.

My sister waiting at my apartment when I got there.

And I'd never wanted to murder anybody more than that bästard since then.

It was an anger I had no business feeling. In my defence I tried to handle this like an adult. Drinking my weight in vodka over two months was great therapy.

But there were days when I felt like taking a long hot bath with him -

And drown him in the water whilst doing so.

I hit the shower in the gym, packing up my duffel bag and heading back home. The minute I got there, I greeted Ira and lay back on the sofa, just taking in the silence, the morning sun and the rhythmic typing of her keyboard.

It was unfair how I was thinking about him when he was probably on a yacht somewhere, peeling off bikinis like they were bananas.

It was unfair that I had to try to play it cool, but secretly search the deep web to see if he was fine because God forbid CNN ever show anything about the Immortal world.

It was fücking unfair that he'd screwed over my life so hard that there was no way I could possibly forgive him or better still, forget him.

It was as I was lost in thought, staring at nothing in particular, that I noticed a feather on the couch.

A few streaks of red intermixed with gold.

I was no bird expert but I knew dämn well it didn't come from the pigeon that made it a point to poop on our windowsill.

I looked up.

Ira was petting the firebird like she was best friends with it, giving me a warm smile when it flew over and tugged at my sleeve.

"Um, did I miss something?" I muttered, trying to shoo the dämn thing off, smiling widely despite myself.

"Someone, rather." Ira winked at me with a kind of childish joy I thought I'd never see on her face again.

Her words made my chest tighten, but I didn't dare hope.

I followed the annoying magical chicken out of my apartment, down the stairs - because the bird seemed to forget the existence of elevators - and headed out the door.