Yoda in the spotlight

~Daniel~

Bringing a vampire to a beach was either the worst idea I'd ever had -

Or considering the fact that I could use sunscreen as an excuse to rub her shoulders, a stroke of pure genius.

Yes. We've established I'm a horrible, horrible person. Moving on.

"Do you come here often, Your Highness?"

Adriana was wearing shades that covered half her face. It would've made her look like a moth, but she was also wearing a pink sundress with dainty white ribbons on it.

Too damn adorable for a moth.

The sunlight wouldn't burn her kind, but it did make her a little uncomfortable. I held her hand, feeling the waves touch my feet.

"This is my favourite place." I answered her, honestly. I smiled, thinking about it. "I used to come here with a friend. See, we'd have a bet on who could make the most impressive jump off that cliff."

I pointed to the sharp dangerous thing that hovered overhead. I'd managed to find a path down today for Adriana, but Xavier would've just pushed me off.

Because routinely trying to kill each other is clearly what strengthens friendships.

I'd always pull up when I fell, just before I touched the water. I was terrified of the ocean for some insane reason.

"So you'd fly?" Adrian asked, excited.

"Yep." I replied. "The winner would be the guy with the fastest pair of wings."

"So did you win a lot?"

I smiled sadly. Xavier's wings always had been a work of art.

"Not once."

Adriana turned to the sea, sensing the change in my mood. She didn't say anything, but she shifted just a little closer to me so her feet touched mine. Odd how much that made me feel better, just knowing she was there.

What's wrong with me?

"So being a Princess." I started, awkwardly. "Ever been locked up in a tower or anything?"

Seriously. What is wrong with me?

Adriana laughed. "No, but I did lose the key to my apartment once."

"Gee, I wonder how many dragons you slayed to get inside."

"Vampires don't slay dragons." She said, simply. "We just slay. Especially in heels."

Well played.

"Well, you know what angels slay?"

She looked at me curiously as I got up. I offered my hand, happy with that gasp of surprise when I pulled her close to me.

"The air."

My wings spread in two great arcs over my shoulders, pure white feathers with a brush of gold at the edges. Adriana looked at me in awe, taking off her glasses.