Gardens and weed

~Daniel~

"With all due respect, go fück yourself."

Marcus took that as an invitation to stab me with another pin.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" I winced.

"It's tradition to wear robes for the engagement." Marcus said, dryly. "Forgive me for not being an expert at making a human burrito."

In about one hour, I'd be getting engaged looking like Red Riding Hood. Fantastic.

"I miss my pants." I said, wistfully. "And my alcohol."

"Don't we all." Marcus muttered.

Ten minutes later, the butler was done making me look like a cloth ghost but from the Victorian era.

I peeked in the mirror. The robes were dark red with a gold lining. I cringed.

Xavier's going to have a field day with this.

There was a knock. Marcus opened the door and the temperature inside dropped about five degrees.

"Where is my son?"

King Anton Grigori slowly entered, leaning on his cane. He was a frail man with salt and pepper hair but presence shouted power. Marcus and I bowed in respect to the Crown King of Europe.

"He's here, Your Grace." I hesitated. "He isn't ready yet-"

"How many years?" Anton coughed. "Where is my son?"

"I need time." I said. "I'll convince him. I promise."

He stared out the window.

"You always listen to me." He zoned out. "You're a good boy. You'll make a good king, son."

I led him out and called for a maid. He kept going.

"Just like your mother. Yes, you're a good boy."

I felt tremors as I held his hand.

"You're a good boy, Xavier."

I sighed, as the maid helped him to his chamber.

The King often slipped into these 'episodes'. I knew he'd never been kind to Xavier when he was growing up.

So naturally, I felt like crap when he mistook me for his son.

Despite the man's illness, Xavier deserved to hear this from his father.

"Alcohol?" Marcus offered me a glass.

"Pants?" I countered, downing it.

"Don't push it." He held the door open. "Time for your grand entry, sire."

Great. I thought, groaning. All I'm missing now is a broom and the cackling.

The ceremony wasn't too bad. Alexandra looked stunning in her white robes. As per tradition, we read our oaths, exchanged rings and greeted each other's families.