Hurricanes

~Daniel~

Adriana was freakishly smart.

"Metaphysics is probably my favourite subject of all." Her eyes were bright and excited. "Are you familiar with the Butterfly Effect?"

"Sure." I said, conversationally. "That's when you think you have insects in your abdomen after talking to someone you want to bang. I hear it's quite romantic."

She laughed. I couldn't help smiling, watching her.

The shy, quiet girl I'd proposed to had agreed to have dinner with me.

Two glasses of wine later, she'd gone MIA.

In her place was a gorgeous mind who spoke of the universe, its mysteries and life beyond with so much passion, I couldn't help but share her curiosity.

"Enlighten me, my dear." I said, using my fork. "For the only wisdom I have is that I know nothing."

Watching her face light up, I was finally grateful for all those philosophy classes I suffered through in college.

"Socrates." Adriana said. "He was a great man."

"Totally." I agreed. "We used to play golf together. Real deep guy."

There was something addicting about making this woman laugh.

"Yeah, Shakespeare used to join us on the weekends." I straightened my tie. "It was a bloodbath."

Yeah, something about the way she's humouring you even though you have a PhD at being an idiot.

"So," I said, trying to be casual. "Tell me about your butterflies."

Adriana blushed.

"The, um, effect." I corrected, internally smacking myself. "The metaphysics thing."

She smiled.

"It's quite simple, Your Highness." Adriana absently played with her spoon. "The wind from a butterfly's wings has the possibility to create a hurricane."

I thought about that.

"Little things can create greatness."

She nodded, sipping her wine. I was a little distracted by the way her hands moved, the way her hair flowed in the light breeze and the way her lips touched the glass.

Also by the way the other men in the restaurant were looking at the V in her dress.

"Come with me to Vetresca." I blurted.

I groaned on the inside.

Yeah, because asking a woman to move to another country on the second date doesn't seem desperate at all.

Darius had finally been okay with me leaving. I hadn't told him about the slight change in my wedding plans yet because that staff of his hadn't seemed real friendly about that idea.

Adriana, however, seemed amused at my misery.

"Are you asking me to run away, Your Grace?"